Noisy Superdrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ronnagesh, Jan 19, 2011.

1. ronnagesh macrumors newbie

I'm VERY new to the world of MAC, and was very excited to receive my new MBP (look at me, already up on the abbreviations) this week. Unfortunately, I was disappointed to then experience the following:

While setting up boot camp (which had it's own series of issues, fully covered in other forums here) I experienced a lot of noise from my superdrive, mainly what seems to be the disc vibrating as it span. This only occurred when the MBP was not on a desk, i.e. when it was on my lap at a slight angle.

Called support, they sent me to the local authorised service centre (I'm in Singapore, no Apple stores or genius bars) where they then sent me home and told me to call the online store number from where I purchased it and I would get a brand new unit. However, they also "tested" (used extremely loosely) the drive and told me there was nothing wrong. I can replicate the noise with any spinning disc, as soon as the machine goes above a 10 degree line from the horizontal.

So, anyone experienced same? Am I being too critical and am I expected to keep the machine on a level surface whenever I use it, or is it faulty?

Thanks.

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

My MacBook sounds like a missile is prepping for take off out of my computer...Not nearly as loud though as some other laptops I've had though. I've actually had to shout over my old laptop lol.

3. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

They sound awesome when ejecting the CD/DVD. Sounds like future in the 80s.