Noisy superdrive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newdeal, Oct 17, 2012.

1. newdeal macrumors 68020

I just bought a 2010 15" macbook pro off ebay, its in great shape, 45 cycles on the battery, works well but when i put my windows install disc it was making a scraping noise. The noise got worse (far worse) when i moved the laptop to the point where i could hear the drive slow and it ejected the disc. I have applecare until December 22 2013 is this an issue they would replace the superdrive for? Never had an issue with this disc in the past and I have used it to install windows 7 a few times on differant machines

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

My 2009 MBP's super drive does the same thing. It can't even read some discs. I can't help you because I've just ignored it and no longer use that Mac.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You should never move a laptop when the it has an optical disk spinning in it - The same thing happens to me of course when I move my MacBook Pro with an optical disk in it, but I try not to. Try setting your MacBook Pro down on a perfectly flat surface, such as a desk, and have a go at chucking a DVD in :)

4. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

I have had Macbook before and not had this problem. It still makes a ton of noise even on a flat surface, just not as much noise as if I tilt it slightly

5. Mito macrumors regular

I'm very paranoid so this is for the first time that I'm glad I've got Air.

Had 2011 Early 13" Pro - just click noise after putting DVD into superdrive and really quite noise while reading it

6. marc11 macrumors 68000

Really, because his DVD drive is making a little noise YOU are glad you got an Air??? Or are you just boasting to the world that you have an Air?

To the OP, mine does this too, the original owner may have had an optibay in the machine and put the super drive back in before selling, sometilmes it gets pushed a little and makes DVDs with thick lables make a noise. Exactly what happened to me. I was able to take mine out and open the intake area a tiny bit to remove the noise. You can easily replace the super drive if you want too, about 20 mins work with a small screwdriver.

7. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

yeah not sure if it had an optibay or not but the dvd had no label on it at all it was a burned dvd

8. Mito macrumors regular

Neither. I´m telling that I have switched from Pro to Air and my Pro DID make some kind of sound so now I would be suspicious if I had bad DVD drive in Pro.

It´s just my goodness that I´m spending my time to explaing it to you

9. Eliz macrumors member

noisy dvd player

my dvd player makes real loud noises with some dvds. and sometimes when there's a dvd in the player when i'm turning on my mac, it makes this grating horrible noise. well????