Noisy time capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by oceanscape, Sep 20, 2011.

1. oceanscape macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 500GB TC and it's constantly making a noise, even when my Macbook and iMac are turned off. It makes intermittent "clicking" noises and those kind of "loading" noises you sometimes here. It's extremely annoying! Is there anything I can do to stop this?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

If it's a 500GB drive, I take it this is a first-generation unit that doesn't spin down the drive inbetween backups?

If so, then the clicks and other noises you hear is almost certainly the sounds of a dying harddrive. You should immediately take steps to copy any important information off of your time capsule and onto another device if you have any such stuff stored on it.

You could try unplugging the time capsule from the wall socket and letting it cool off. This should only be done after you've safeguarded the data stored on it as there's a chance the drive might not start up again, but if it does, it might perform better for a while, or at least until it starts running hot again...

Needless to say, you probably shouldn't trust this particular time capsule with anything important until you've had a chance to remedy the clicking - by replacing the drive, or indeed the whole unit. Newer time capsules are fan cooled and don't become as hot as the first generation.