Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Just announced at MWC.

Man am I excited about this one - and the direction that Nokia seem to be taking with their handsets.

nokia-8-sirocco.jpg

nokia-8-sirocco-9.jpg

nokia-8-sirocco-8.jpg

Confirmed (as with all Nokia handsets from now on) to be running the Android One software, which means Pixel like experience and regular updates.

A huge scoop for Nokia in my opinion.

Phones specs are as follows:

• 5.5in 18:9 2K OLED display
  • Octa-core 2.45 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor
  • 6GB of RAM
  • 128GB of storage (expandable via microSD)
  • 12-megapixel and 13-megapixel telephoto rear cameras
  • €749
  • April 2018
Interesting that this looks set to have the exact kind of screen / body size that suits my personal requirements. Specs seem really good, but the camera is the only unknown at the moment.
Probably worth noting that the camera is the same as the recently announced Nokia 7 Plus, so make of that what you will.

Either way, extremely interesting showing from Nokia and definitely worth getting excited about!

Reactions: Falhófnir

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
looks pretty great - much more like the Nokia I remember than the first round of handsets they released last year. With the direction Apple are taking their iPhones, I am envisaging myself returning to Nokia more and more. I'm not really sold on Android (but have limited experience with it, so expect could customise to suit my tastes more) and I generally prefer IPS LCD to oled, though at this price point (rather than 1,149) I can forgive that more easily. The 7 plus looks great too, and the original 8, though not such a looker, offers a very nice overall package for the money...

Reactions: Aneres11

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Seem to be doing something right - 3rd smartphone brand in the UK for Q4 2017 behind Apple and Samsung.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
I won't lie, I'm extremely tempted by this one but need some more info on that camera first.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
It's a good looking phone but I don't like the angle of the front glass curve. Seems way too intrusive into the viewing area of the display. Way more than even the S7 edge, it seems like.

Reactions: Aneres11

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
It's a good looking phone but I don't like the angle of the front glass curve. Seems way too intrusive into the viewing area of the display. Way more than even the S7 edge, it seems like.
I don't know for sure, but it looks to me like the flat area of the display is about 16:9 and the curved edges are in addition to that - why it looks somewhat shorter and wider than many other phones?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011

Yup, that's the only thing putting me off.
Screen protectors will be a no go, same with a decent case.
Not a fan of curved screens really but I do love Nokia's efforts here and I'd be happy supporting them as they seem to be becoming pretty big again (at least here in the UK).

I just like the look of it as the screen looks amazing and I imagine it's a joy to message on given that it's a slightly wider looking display.

Reactions: co.ag.2005
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.