Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nokia's revamped navigation app, HERE, will be landing on iOS early next year, according to a company blog post that also announced the official launch of its Android version. HERE will enter a crowded field that includes Apple Maps, Google Maps, and titles from established navigation companies such as Garmin and TomTom.

here-android.jpg
Nokia says its decision to bring the app to Apple's mobile platform is the result of heightened interest in an iOS version following a successful Android beta trial.
Following the positive reviews of HERE for Android, a lot of people have expressed their interest in an iOS version of our app. We really appreciate this interest and demand. Our iOS app development team is working hard on this and we plan to officially launch HERE for iOS in early 2015.
HERE originally launched in 2012 and was removed from the App Store in late 2013 due to incompatibilities with iOS 7. An earlier report from The Wall Street Journal claimed Nokia was in the final stages of development a new version of the iOS app with a launch likely before the end of 2014, but the schedule has apparently been pushed back somewhat. Details on the iOS version of app are sparse, but it is expected to be free and offer offline navigation and searching.

Article Link: Nokia Confirms Early 2015 Launch of HERE Maps for iOS

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Great! Now I can finally ditch Google Maps, the last Google service that I use (other than YouTube, which is unavoidable), to move away from that evil company.

*waits for it all*

Comment

dannyyankou

macrumors G4
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I'm not being a fanboy here, but I've literally had zero issues with Apple's maps and navigation. I could only think of one time that I tried to look something up in Apple Maps and it wasn't on the database, but they've corrected it since then,

Comment

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
I've heard Nokia has the best maps (precision) but I'm impressed by how ugly their UIs are.

Comment

Reason077

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2007
More competition in the maps/navigation space is good.

Nokia's previous attempt at HERE iOS maps was pretty much a disaster. I'm sure they've taken the time to get things right this time, though!

I wonder if they'll do an SDK?

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Great! Now I can finally ditch Google Maps, the last Google service that I use (other than YouTube, which is unavoidable), to move away from that evil company.

*waits for it all*

As the article points out, there's numerous mapping applications. I know that Google Maps was the first good one, but surely, if you hate Google so, you must have found one of the alternatives acceptable.

As for YouTube... eh. Since Google bought it, I've stopped uploading content to it (I upload videos to Facebook instead, and any comments I have get directed to the Facebook page for the video instead). I still watch videos on YouTube though... I figure/hope that there's not much data mining that Google can do with only a list of videos I've watched.

Comment

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe
I'm not being a fanboy here, but I've literally had zero issues with Apple's maps and navigation. I could only think of one time that I tried to look something up in Apple Maps and it wasn't on the database, but they've corrected it since then,

I have also had zero issues, but it also seems Apple Maps has zero interesting features that make driving better as compared to the competition. I love Waze, it makes driving better through alerts of speed traps and construction zones, incredible traffic accuracy, and social integration allowing me to see where my friends are when we are all driving to the same destination (who will get to the ski house first and claim the best bedroom?) Though, I really dislike the Waze UI...

Comment

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

How often do you use it? The Apple Maps POI database still sucks.

Within 20 seconds of reading your post, I went into Apple Maps, entered "Walgreens", hit Search, and it showed that there are seven Walgreens stores within a 15 mile radius of my location. I went into the Walgreens app and it showed 10 stores within the same radius of my location. That's three Walgreens stores that are nowhere to be found in my area using Apple Maps. And they were a huge Apple Pay launch partner, for God's sake! Apple Maps is still a big embarrassment, as far as I'm concerned.

Not that Google Maps is any picnic right now, either. It has a nasty bug where it will automatically reroute you to slower or longer routes for seemingly no reason at all without telling you that it has done so. Maybe HERE Maps will cause both Apple and Google to get their acts together. We can only hope.

Comment

dannyyankou

macrumors G4
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
How often do you use it? The Apple Maps POI database still sucks.

Within 20 seconds of reading your post, I went into Apple Maps, entered "Walgreens", hit Search, and it showed that there are seven Walgreens stores within a 15 mile radius of my location. I went into the Walgreens app and it showed 10 stores within the same radius of my location. That's three Walgreens stores that are nowhere to be found in my area using Apple Maps. And they were a huge Apple Pay launch partner, for God's sake! Apple Maps is still a big embarrassment, as far as I'm concerned.

Not that Google Maps is any picnic right now, either. It has a nasty bug where it will automatically reroute you to slower or longer routes for seemingly no reason at all without telling you that it has done so. Maybe HERE Maps will cause both Apple and Google to get their acts together. We can only hope.

I use it quite often.

And Apple Maps shows the exact stores as Walgreen's website for me.

6892adc884a19908dc99a8cc1b5894c6.jpg

c8c8e34742ccd3c80ab9b0c758a41659.jpg

Edit: There's actually 1 store that isn't showing up on Apple maps, but it's also not showing on Google. It was actually a Duane Reade store that closed a few months ago and Walgreen's just replaced it. Just sent a report to Apple, let's see how long it takes to change it.

Last edited:
Comment

Futurix

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2011
London
Hopefully the new version won’t be a slow HTML5-based wrapper as it was in their previous attempt.

Comment

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Edit: There's actually 1 store that isn't showing up on Apple maps, but it's also not showing on Google. It was actually a Duane Reade store that closed a few months ago and Walgreen's just replaced it. Just sent a report to Apple, let's see how long it takes to change it.

Fair enough. I have done the same.

Comment

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Nice to see, one of the benefits of Nokia mapping software (on other platforms and hopefully this one on iOS) is that you can download all your mapping content prior to starting your drive/walk/voyage and don't need internet connection to keep working - most mapping software needs constant internet connection to work.

Looking forward to this, hopefully they do a nice job.

Comment

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
This is great news for UK users, HERE is far more accurate than the God awful Apple Maps and is a good alternative to Waze or Google Maps for driving directions ... Been a long time coming but at last it's coming :)

Comment

Karma*Police

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2012
Interesting. Not sure how they intend to compete with Apple maps when even Google maps was relegated to a distant second almost overnight after Apple maps launched.

Comment

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast

My first time using Apple maps, I showed Laramie, WY just a stones throw from Cheyenne, Wy. That was the first and last time I used it. Just my .02

Comment

mlody

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
There is one street missing and one mislabeled within walking distance where I live. I gave up on reporting this to Apple - I did this at least 10 times. I checked few other mapping services (google, bing, nokia) and they all show missing road and have correct road labels. Apple does not seem to care.

Comment

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
Personally, if HERE helps me get to work faster by analyzing traffic conditions as I move about (Google is not nearly as good at this as they should be), then I'm going to be very very happy.

Comment

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Maybe in your area/country. Elsewhere Apple Maps are a joke.

Comment

MikeAnd

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
Apple Maps has improved and generally works well for me in the US, but HERE will be a great option for overseas travel. In my experience the HERE maps are better than all the competitors – Apple, Google, Mapquest, etc. – in many international locations.

Comment

arobert3434

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2013
How about the basics?

"HERE will enter a crowded field ..."

I'd like to see ONE of this crowd put a simple scalebar on the map.

An extra plus 10 for simply reliably remembering and applying your saved locations. I should be able to type "home", "work", etc. in ANY search dialog and have that use the corresponding saved location. Even the vaunted Google never seems to manage this consistently.

An extra plus 20 for, if I ask for it, clearly displaying whether roads are paved or unpaved. A key piece of information when navigating on vacations in unfamiliar areas.

So much attention seems to go into providing ever fancier street views, traffic features, etc., but easier and more useful stuff just gets thrown by the wayside.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.