Nokia confirms netbook plans...

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by mkrishnan, Aug 24, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/technology/companies/25nokia.html?_r=1&hpw

Since they seem to be (sensibly, for them) entering directly into the 3G-enabled end of the netbook market, it sounds like a device that will be sold through cell phone channels, which of course also makes sense. 12 hours, if true, is probably without 3G and would put it essentially at the top of the netbook battery life market, with the best current models around 10-11 hours without exceptionally ridiculous XL batteries, I think.

As a strategy for improving their performance, OTOH, meh. :p

2. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Oh wow, a Nokia netbook, because I'm so pleased with my current Nokia 5800 XpressMusic that I'm getting rid of it a month after getting it new from the shop, so I will now rush out to buy something else made by Nokia with Windows installed on it! :rolleyes:

3. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

Looks interesting if somewhat derivative for the genre, I think I'd wait until seeing Apple's tablet plans if I were in the market for this.

4. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Right now the hardware platform is kind of in between updates... I mean the more standard stuff, not anything that Apple might bring uniquely to the market.

The last major transition was a number of new netbooks that had Ion graphics or something along those lines. Intel is due for a significant update to the netbook version of the Atom towards the end of the year, and the new version (Pine Trail) will have on-chip graphics and that should lead to a new generation of netbooks that will probably pair this with Windows 7, but I don't think they're expected as Christmas sellers, and are rather expected to predominantly bow in the new year.

I kind of want a new one next year, that's in that rough range, although I don't particularly want/need a 3G modem in it. Whether Apple enters is certainly also interesting. It's the 10+ hour battery life in a <3 lb package that primarily excites me at this point, though. :eek: That combination is especially yummy for watching DVDs on airplanes. :)

5. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Interesting, but Nokia enter a competitive market - they have certainly an up hill battle.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Nokia's concept OLED laptop from about a year ago was rather interesting... Maybe by the time OLED is practical we'll actually have decent 3G coverage within my area.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

8. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Agreed, it's gorgeous, maybe aside from there being some nicer looking keyboards I've seen. Hopefully they get fairly close to that. And (yeah, right) there's a version in the US that's available without being purchased through a service provider subsidy.

9. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

A Nokia unveiling today revealed some details about upcoming phones as well as about this device...

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/09/02/business/AP-EU-Germany-Nokia.html

(Emphases mine)

The E575 ($817 as of today) unsubsidized price is in the rough high-range of Nokia smartphones (viz. the N97, which will be E450/$644, unsubsidized, according to the article), so it would have to be heavily discounted to even get back to the price point of a typical netbook. The features, aside from the aluminum shell, GPS, and 3G modem, sound fairly typical.