Nokia copied the iPhone look

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JW8725, Feb 14, 2008.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

What are you talking about, it looks nothing like the iPhone, and the iPhone does not have that many buttons.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

really?

It doesn't look that similar, looks more like a cross between the n72 and n95, or just an evolution of the n95.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.... Everyone knows that. You know once someone starts copying the way you do things, that you are on the right track.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes, black and aluminum enclosures were pretty much invented by Apple. I'm not sure I've ever seen them anywhere else. :rolleyes:

On a similar note, I saw Porsche ripping off Chevy the other day - black car, four wheels. You'd think they could do something more unique.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I see the similarities, but I think Kevin Pierra has a better chance of suing Midway for their new Vegas game than you have of actually making this a big deal or Apple suing over this.

TEG

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

so they changed ... .... the color?? .. big deal

8. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes keep eating carrots might help with the sarcasm. Notice I specifically said iPhone look? And then I posted the previous model to show what it had morphed into? :rolleyes:

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

But it looks like an evolution of the N95 design which also came in black, or previous to that the N80 in black or the n6288. Shows how the design has evolved.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I still fail to see your point. You apparently believe that an aluminum rim around a black screen makes something an iPhone clone.

Note the keyboard. Note the additional keys on the front. Note the actually-usable camera (with a flash) on the back. Note the removable battery.

Yes, it has a thin aluminum-sided front, as does the N810, LG's phones, etc. That doesn't mean they ripped off the iPhone.

Edit: I forgot to mention the LG KE850, which pre-dated the iPhone. Who copied whom?

11. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Not even close. Nokia has had many phones in black and silver (N80 for one), and the new E76 or whatever they call their phone thats practically a laptop is also in black I believe.

Nokia WAS showing a phone that was pure iPhone ripoff while demo'ing a touchscreen symbian though.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

13. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Because it's black it's an iphone?

If anything it looks like a giant moto rizr or something of that nature.

14. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Does it still have a camera on the front too? That would be cool...

I think the next iphone should have that, with a ichat av app :) but then it would be copying the Nokia. :(

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I read that as the "ichav."

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Doesn't annoy me. If people come up with variations on the iPhone it may pressure apple to innovate on their own design... and add some frickin MMS on their product.

17. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

The N95 isn't necessarily the predecessor. You could consider the N81 to be the N96's predecessor, which was released between the two:

[​IMG]

Still, while they and the iPhone have some resemblance, they're worlds apart in terms of the operating system and user interface.

18. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If you ask some people here, every phone released after the iPhone is an iPhone ripoff :rolleyes:

20. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Well, yeah! Even the Motorola StarTACs from back in the day ripped off the iPhone! Everyone knows that.

21. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I mean come on, the ability to make phone calls? TOTALLY taken from the iPhone.

22. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I think the comment is: why would go from a very silver looking matte product to a black shiny one? Just coincidence? Possible. Inspired by trend setting competition? Also possible.

I don't think it's quite as barmy as argument as people make out. No one's saying it's a copy/rip off/clone, but it's obvious Nokia looks around for ideas. And so do Apple from time to time as well.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Black shiny phones have been in existence since long before the iPhone. I still don't even know why this is up for discussion....

24. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Why go from silver to black? Trends? That's the only point I was making.

25. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

So... Your point is that Apple invented shiny black? I really don't see any resemblance; I thought this thread was gonna be about Nokia's much more blatant rip-off of the iPhone.

[​IMG]