Nokia E61i or Blackberry Curve?

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
California
I'm completely lost as to which one I should buy. I've read countless reviews, checked out videos, etc. but I still don't know. :confused:

While e-mail is useful, it's not my primary concern. I've tried out the Blackberry in the AT&T store and found it to be a little difficult to navigate (probably because I'm not used to it). I've used Nokia's before so I know the system, unfortunately I can't find an E61i anywhere to try it out, so I'd probably have to order online.

Price is not much of a factor (there's only a $50 difference between the two) and I'll be buying the phone out of contract anyway. They have nearly identical specs - 2MP camera, quad-band, QWERTY keyboard, GPS (I think), etc.

I've heard the E61i is a little awkward due to the width, but the keyboard is very, very good. I had no real problem with the Curve's keyboard however.

Has anyone used either phone? Can you offer me any advice?

Thanks in advance!

AT&T_BlackBerry_Curve.jpg
nokia_e61i.jpg

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
The E61i is a serious phone with pretty serious features. Here's a nice review. I would personally go for the E61i because it has WiFi and looks a fair bit cooler, along with it being a Nokia.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
I second the E61i. I have an E61, and I've used my sister's Pearl, and I find it way too complicated to use (awkward keyboard aside.)

And since you can afford it, why not? S60 is a joy to use.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
California
Alright, thanks for the help guys!

Ideally I'd go for an iPhone, but I don't want to pay $400 for a phone than can't send/receive MMS. :mad:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I miss certain aspects of S60, to be honest, but I think that, since you said e-mail is not your primary concern, that pretty much answers your question in favor of the Nokia. The mail doesn't look up to par with Blackberry (but nothing really is), but everything else looks better on the Nokia.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
S60 rocks! If mobile OS X was a little more like S60 I might buy one, but although the mobile OS X is cool (I do have a iPod Touch), I just couldn't use it as a phone.

jessep28

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Omaha, NE
Blackberries are very very powerful but the only real advantage they have is push email. Unless you are running a business and NEED (not just nice to have) constant email notification on your phone, then get the Nokia.

Even then I do just fine with my regular Samsung phone with mobile Gmail.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Blackberry messaging is supported on all Nokia E series devices.. so you can have your push email too.

The browser is pretty nice and works well
Email client a bit lame - but does its job.
Wifi is nice to have.
Lots of 3rd party apps to download
iSync works OK
Nokia have begun to support OSX - syncing with iPhoto for example.
Supports widgets ( like those in OSX ) via a software download

One downside - you'll need windows to do firmware upgrades - which is highly recommended.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
California
Thanks a lot. :)

I'm actually just thinking that.. maybe I'll wait it out for the iPhone. My contract expires late 2008 (it's with Cingular/AT&T anyway) and I'm thinking that the iPhone will have had significant updates by then, and a bunch of new apps thanks to the SDK that's coming out in Feb?

Hopefully! *crosses fingers*

quovadis

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
in PA
Haven't used a BB but own a E61i (since Feb) with T-mobile. The keyboard takes a little bit of getting used to (in my case 2 weeks) but it is just great

I used to think the browser was great too until I saw a friend's iPhone browser in action!

For email I use webmail and the gmail app

With my 2gb sdcard I have all my audiobooks on my phone too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.