Nokia EOS - Confirmed - 41 MP Camera

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by damitssam, May 31, 2013.

1. damitssam, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013

damitssam macrumors 6502

Edit: Just Announced.

Not impressed regarding storage. 32 GB is a joke for a camera phone like this one. One can't help but wonder AT&T pushing them low to use up more data.

$299 on contract (big cockup there).

64GB version coming internationally to telefonica by end of quarter.

2. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

3. damitssam thread starter macrumors 6502

Preliminary testing = pretty much guaranteed its gonna come out this summer :cool::cool: Unless the phone just goes AWOL with its test results.

4. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

"Revolutionary phone?" It's a camera that has smartphone-ish features.

Michael

5. fredaroony macrumors 6502a

I can't say I've been waiting for this to tell the truth.

6. damitssam thread starter macrumors 6502

Smartphoneish features? Number of productive apps on Windows phone keeps going up... this is a full fledge smartphone + a revolutionary camera.

The death of the point and shoot. Literally. 41 MP means you can zoom in at least 4X without any loss of detail.

7. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

8. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Again, this is a camera first and smart phone second. Bulge for lens, 768X1280 screen.... it is not in the league of flagship phones that are already out.

The point and shoot was already dead. At 41 megapixels this is going for the prosumer camera crowd.

Michael

9. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Revolutionary? They're just taking the camera from the Nokia 808 and putting it onto a Windows Phone.

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Screw MPs, when are we going to get some optical zoom?

11. Assault macrumors 6502a

Assault

Bingo.Although not sure how much zoom you can get in a 7 or 8mm thick chassis? Maybe a bt or nfc iris/zoom controlled attachment allowing for a 200-300mm equivalent lens?

----------

Nokia sucks at software. That's why it makes little difference if they have 20, 30 or 40mp cameras, even the iphone with just 8mp is still taking better pics. This is due to optics, software and sensors. And the S4 with just 13mp's is the current camera picture champ (at least according to CNet).

12. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

And it's a compromise on both fronts. I'd rather use even an entry level dSLR for quality photos and use any number of other more capable smartphones for point and shoot--current flagship devices are more than capable for those point and shoot moments.

13. Greg. macrumors 6502

Greg.

Wow, that's a rather bold statement. Have you ever even used a Nokia smart-phone? Here, enlighten yourself:

14. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

So, tell me again, was the nokia 808 the ultimate iPhone and galaxy killer? No.

Same thing here. The 41mp camera alone isn't going to unseat the big boys. Nope.

15. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

41MP selfies and pictures of food, oh my! :rolleyes:

Seems like a very niche product though, and having WP8 kills it for me (wouldn't be getting it anyway but)
    I guess it could replace the camera of artsy hipsters who post their pics online, but wouldn't see it doing much more.

16. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I trust Nokia to make put together the best cell phone friendly cameras with some damn sturdy software. I admire their plunge in to WP8, and I think the 920 is a great phone, but WP8 will never stand a chance is google doesn't start playing nice with MS again. WP8 needs google apps, made by google. I don't think it will even gain any significant marketshare without google stepping up and making some apps.

The 920 is the best camera on a cell phone right now, I base that on my own experience and there are numerous comparisons on the web that agree with that. 41MP seems overkill to me, but for the right price, why not?

17. damitssam thread starter macrumors 6502

I have to disagree. MY 920 takes far superior pictures then an i5. By far. And wireless charging is awesome.

There is a sharpness issue that needs to get resolved asap. But since this new phone looks like it includes the amber update, it will be fixed.

You DONT need optical zoom when you hae 41 megapixels. That's the point zoom without quality loss.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I don't trust Nokia that much, I've always found with couple of exceptions their camera prowess is over stated.

N95, Nokia N9, Lumia 800, Lumia 820 have all had pretty crappy cameras all told.

Now clearly this camera is different, but just saying other than Lumia 920, N8, Pureview 808 their strength at camera quality is very overstated.

19. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I don't imagine many prosumers buying a camera with such limited optics. The DSLR and bridge camera market is huge now and the number of megapixels is rarely a factor. Optical quality generally has more impact on images.

A quick look on Amazon shows that a £1000 prosumer camera has 24MP. 41MP is only of interest to those who don't understand that in photography, there are far more important factors.

20. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Even the 920 is an average shooter outside of low-lit conditions. Never understood the fuss to be honest.

21. beaniemyman macrumors 6502

41 Megapixels!:eek:, wow! nokia is making a great comeback, they are bringing out great phones, good going nokia.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Meh, MP is the new gigahertz. I'd rather of a camera with a larger sensor then one with a lot of megapixels.

23. otismotive77 macrumors 6502

nokia is just improving it's camera, they've nothing else to offer. they should do more than just offering a better camera.

24. Jibbajabba macrumors 65816

^^ was about to post the same.

----------

or proper macro capability ;)

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. This is simply a way to claim that they have the most MP in their phone.