Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; HTC; TITAN X310e))

*LTD* said:
The Lumia series are leading the way with Windows Phone

The tragic thing about this is that MS and Nokia actually believe this.

Although the total margin of Windows Phones is low worldwide, it hasn't taken Nokia long to become the biggest Windows Phone OEM judging the news I've been reading.

Whilst they only have a big piece of a small pie, I do think they're the first OEM to take the platform seriously and market their devices well. Time will tell if it pays off but I do feel that a combined Microsoft and Nokia could become the third player in the smartphone market, if not higher.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Nokia have always had great camera phones. The Nokia N8, despite being released in 2010, is still highly thought of as containing the best camera around in any phone today, better than the iPhone 4S...
( 2012 January camera phone round up - http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...era-phone-6-handsets-tested-904250?artc_pg=10 )

I'm sure PureView will find its way into WM7 phones fairly soon...

The sample photos look great:
http://www.engadget.com/photos/nokia-808-pureview-first-sample-shots/

When zooming.. the camera will still shoot great photos at 5mp, despite the digital zoom.

Last edited:

juliusaugustus

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
The iPhone effectively killed Symbian. Nokia has even admitted that Symbian is a dead-end.

So, naturally, Nokia thought it would be a great idea to make a fugly Symbian phone, but this time around attach a mammoth camera to it.

Yeah that'll work.
Killed symbian tell that to the millions of users and developers for Symbian. It may not be as "slick" but it is very powerful, slim on resources, and is power efficient for good battery life. My next phone will probably be Symbian based.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Killed symbian tell that to the millions of users and developers for Symbian. It may not be as "slick" but it is very powerful, slim on resources, and is power efficient for good battery life. My next phone will probably be Symbian based.

Waste of resources.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...ittle-joy-nokia-symbian-market-share-plummets

Windows Phone holds little joy for Nokia as Symbian market share plummets

Falls into a death spiral

Wed Feb 22 2012

FINNISH PHONE MAKER Nokia has seen its Symbian market share erode in every market over the course of 2011, according to figures from analyst outfit Kantar Worldpanel.

Nokia's gamble with Microsoft's Windows Phone operating system has so far yielded two so-so devices that have yet to set the world on fire. While Nokia has been grappling with Microsoft's mobile operating system, its Symbian operating system market share plummeted, in some regions by over 40 per cent, throughout 2011.

While Google's Android and Apple's IOS enjoy healthy long-term market share growth, Research in Motion and Nokia are stuck with operating systems that are simply not cutting the mustard with punters. Both firms suffered drops in market share in every region surveyed, including the UK.

However for Nokia the situation is worse as it tries to jump from Symbian to Windows Phone. According to Kantar Worldpanel, Windows Phone 7 saw market share increase only in the UK, and the growth was nowhere near enough to offset the decline suffered by Symbian.
Nokia is expected to reveal new handsets running Windows Phone at Mobile World Congress. The problem for Nokia is that on one hand punters don't seem to be flocking to Windows Phone and on the other, its Symbian operating system will soon disappear from the market.

When Nokia CEO Stephen Elop labeled Symbian a "burning platform" he wasn't wrong. The only problem is that he might have led Nokia onto yet another burning platform.

juliusaugustus

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
Waste of resources.

How so like I said there are many existing users. Symbian still has a lot of life in it. Nokia said they would support Symbian less but they would still update and make Symbian hardware. While Android and iOs offer a nice experience but most of those devices are out of range for many people I can get a good Symbian phone for less than 300 dollars a good Android Phone easily more than 500 dollars. Plus Symbian belle makes the experience nice and very easy to use. Symbian is far from dead just in its last years.

----------

this device sounds amazing there simply aren't enough camera phones.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Wow. When my iPhone 4 contract expires I think I'll be moving over to the WP7 platform. Or at least considering it. As a big Nokia fan, I am thrilled to see them get back on the right track after being lead astray for years.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
The iPhone didn't kill Symbian. It was Nokia management who torpedoed it.

LOL why do you think they did that?

It's the fallout from June 2007. It affected a lot of the old guard in the industry. Apple changed the game a little too quick. In fact, Apple changed everything to do with consumer mobile, and then some.

One word: iPhone.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004

It's the fallout from June 2007. It affected a lot of the old guard in the industry. Apple changed the game a little too quick.

Do you know that the CEO just hired a few months before the Symbian debacle is an ex-Microsoft, and that things were getting better before he opened his mouth?

jfanning

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2007
The iPhone effectively killed Symbian. Nokia has even admitted that Symbian is a dead-end.

The iPhone didn't kill Symbian, Nokia killed Symbian

----------

It's the fallout from June 2007. It affected a lot of the old guard in the industry. Apple changed the game a little too quick. In fact, Apple changed everything to do with consumer mobile, and then some.

It had nothing to do with the iPhone. Android based phones are taking the old Symbian place far quicker than any iPhone.

The announcement about retiring Symbian was made too fast, they should have waited longer, hence Nokia killed Symbian

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
The iPhone didn't kill Symbian, Nokia killed Symbian

----------

It had nothing to do with the iPhone. Android based phones are taking the old Symbian place far quicker than any iPhone.

The announcement about retiring Symbian was made too fast, they should have waited longer, hence Nokia killed Symbian

Do you understand context?

What precipitated the revolution in mobile over the last few years?

Apple. Nothing else. The response to Apple by the big players was scorn, derision, laughter. This was the mistake. Industry-wide hubris and delusion in response to the iPhone is what caused all the cataclysm at Nokia, RIM, Motorola, etc. The iPhone signalled the beginning of the end for these dinosaurs. They couldn't manage an effective response to it. Google's Android success was simply a by-product (and in initiated) by what Apple did in June 2007.

jfanning

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2007

Yes, do you understand making false assumptions?

Symbian's sales were increasing quarter after quarter right up until Nokia stated they are dumping it, do you understand that context? Nokia killed Symbian.

You can live in your little dream world all you want, you can claim everything under the sun, but the answer to Symbian's fall is easy, Nokia killed it.

Apart from Multitouch, the iPhone brought nothing new to the world of mobile, everything they presented had existed in mobile devices for years before. The iPhone is a very nice phone, but don't try and make it out to be something it is not.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004

Apple. Nothing else. The response to Apple by the big players was scorn, derision, laughter. This was the mistake. Industry-wide hubris and delusion in response to the iPhone is what caused all the cataclysm at Nokia, RIM, Motorola, etc. The iPhone signalled the beginning of the end for these dinosaurs. They couldn't manage an effective response to it. Google's Android success was simply a by-product (and in initiated) by what Apple did in June 2007.

The delusion is replacing the #1 platform violently by the #7 (and incompatible) platform when a smooth transition to a new compatible platform was already put in place since a long time.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
What do you mean why?

Why did Nokia kill Symbian?

You can laugh all you want, doesn't change the fact that it is true

All the paradigm shifts you see in mobile today go straight back in a veritable bee-line to June 2007 (iPhone) and Apple's subsequent introduction of the App Store.

Enjoying your WP7 device? Think your Samsung Galaxy SII is pretty nifty? Having fun with the Galaxy Tab?

Thank Apple and Steve Jobs.

Last edited:

Tinyluph

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; HTC; TITAN X310e))

Although the total margin of Windows Phones is low worldwide, it hasn't taken Nokia long to become the biggest Windows Phone OEM judging the news I've been reading.

Whilst they only have a big piece of a small pie, I do think they're the first OEM to take the platform seriously and market their devices well. Time will tell if it pays off but I do feel that a combined Microsoft and Nokia could become the third player in the smartphone market, if not higher.

uhhh

It's kind of hard not to be the leader in Windows Phone handsets when you're being paid a huge sum of money by Microsoft to do so??

jfanning

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2007
Why did Nokia kill Symbian?

I don't know, ask them, but that isn't what I said, I said how they killed Symbian.

All the paradigm shifts you see in mobile today go straight back in a veritable bee-line to June 2007 (iPhone) and Apple's subsequent introduction of the App Store.

Excuse me? App store, that is all you can come up with? App stores existed before Apple introduced their one, and smartphones could run native apps for years before the iPhone supported it.

Enjoying your WP7 device? Think your Samsung Galaxy SII is pretty nifty? Having fun with the Galaxy Tab?

I don't own a WP7 device, I don't own a Samsung phone or tablet. I have plenty of Macs and iPods though.

Thank Apple and Steve Jobs.

You can thank Steve all you like, if you think he was the only one that could come up with ideas then you don't have much confidence in the company then.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

Not a surprise. A day late and a dollar short, just like their partner, MS. They were made for each other.

----------

I don't know, ask them, but that isn't what I said, I said how they killed Symbian.

How could you not know why? LOL what do you THINK is the reason?

Go back to June 2007 for your enlightenment and edification.

Excuse me? App store, that is all you can come up with? App stores existed before Apple introduced their one, and smartphones could run native apps for years before the iPhone supported it.

They did? Funny, barely anyone could tell.

Look at the mobile landscape pre-iPhone. Then look at the mobile landscape post-iPhone. Note the major differences.

It didn't happen by accident.

I don't own a WP7 device, I don't own a Samsung phone or tablet.

Excellent decision.

You can thank Steve all you like, if you think he was the only one that could come up with ideas....

Apparently, yes. And he did.

Any other companies like Apple at the time that pulled something off (or could have) like the iPhone? Not even close. And it took the competition forever to fashion a viable response. And the also-rans *still* can't get it right (e.g., tablets.)

jfanning

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2007
How could you not know why? LOL what do you THINK is the reason?

Cheap android phones.

Go back to June 2007 for your enlightenment and edification.

symbian based phone sales increased every quarter until Nokia made that announcement.

They did? Funny, barely anyone could tell.

Really? Any of the millions and millions of owners of Symbian based phones could have easily installed Apps, many did.

Look at the mobile landscape pre-iPhone. Then look at the mobile landscape post-iPhone. Note the major differences.

That phones don't have some of the basic features they used to?

It didn't happen by accident.

Nope, they dumbed them on purpose.

Apparently, yes. And he did.

Again, so now he is dead you have no hope that Apple can continue to make decisions?

Jaffaman27

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Tampere, Finland
@ *LTD*

You seem to have some major grudge against Nokia. Or actually, I guess it's a major grudge against anything that doesn't have :apple: on it.
That's quite sad to be honest.

I like Macs, but if someday Windows is better for me I'll make the jump any day, I can appreciate iOS products too, but not too big of a fan.
I'm not a fanboy of any brand. I think that's idiotic.

About the original post:
That camera phone is a huge jump forward in camera phone tech. Nokia is making true innovation with this product. Even tho I'm not planning on buying a symbian phone as my next phone I can appreciate a great product.
That camera or similar in a Nokia Windows Phone could be a good combination that many, like myself, would be tempted to buy.
Nokia is on a right track now and soon ready to take some of its lost shares back.

@ *LTD* again

I give Apple credit with it's iPhone. It made touchscreen phones and apps more popular than ever (there were touchscreen phones before iPhone). It made a new market and kind of surprised the competition. Other than those features, I think iPhone is rather mediocre PHONE all in all. After the original, the innovation has slowed down and the Android camp (and somewhat Symbian) are already there or better. And MS with Win7 is making something different and rather interesting with its OS.

You keep referring to the year 2007 and to look how the industry was before that. Yes it was different. But think about the industry before Nokia.
I don't think anyone should thank Apple for their Galaxy or Windows Phones. You should thank Nokia for your iPhone. Or basically any phone without a cord. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.