Nokia Lumia 520 is $69.99 on Amazon right now

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Jessica Lares, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Anyone that wants to give one a try, it's $69.99 on Amazon at the moment, and will be $59 on Tiger Direct on Friday.

Comes with the latest Nokia Amber update, and can be updated to the developer preview to include CardDAV and CalDAV support. 5GB of usable space, but you can stick a 64GB card in there that can be used for media and the growing apps that support using it.

Only has 512 MB RAM, but apps have to specifically target it, so it's not really an issue. I've ran Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I and Asphalt 8: Airborne on it fine with no problem.

Camera is nice, and you can use it with both Oggl and Instagram now. :D The screen is nice and vibrant too... I'll stop now. Hahaha.

2. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I'm tempted to pick one up to see how AT&T works at my house. That's a terrific price.

3. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

Great way to try out the platform and keep a backup phone without a contract

4. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I'm on my third windows phone so I'm familiar with the platform. I'm on Verizon and I'm interested in the Lumia 1520, but I'd like to see if AT&T has improved at my house since I left them.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

As tempting as it is I'll have to pass. I've been spending too much on Amazon lately. But it is worth it just for the GPS alone.

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I picked up the 521 when it was at $80 then got another one couple weeks ago for $68, but gave them away to family members overseas since windows phone are booming there. I might pick the 520 on tiger direct for $59 no tax and prolly free shipping too.:D

7. Ragnarianrok macrumors member

8. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yep. And no, Microsoft isn't losing money. I already spent like $50 on apps and games since I got it in August. :eek:

9. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Thanks for the tip Jessica. I only buy off-contract and this is perfect for me to dabble into WP8.

10. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

11. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

Yup

12. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

Haha I'm doing the same with my parents who are overseas. My mom broke hers and want's another. At this price i'll buy a couple for back up.

Is the Tiger Direct price a Black Friday deal?

13. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It takes a MicroSIM. My last few Android phones had the standard. So if you don't have one of those, it comes with one. Just call AT&T or use their live chat and they'll move you over to the new one without having to go to a store to do it.

14. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I think so.

15. weckart macrumors 68040

Bought this two days ago in the UK, where $69 translated to £80 including a £10 PAYG sim. Amazon UK is much dearer at over £100.

Nice little device. Less sluggish than I thought it would be. WP8 still some way to go to match iOS and Android in features and software availability but I like the way it has its own style rather than trying to ape what already exists. Battery life is not a strong point, but you can't have everything at this level of the phone market.

Screen feels very plasticky, though, and an absolute fingerprint magnet. Not even sure if it is glass or not.

16. srkmish macrumors regular

srkmish

Hey i can see that its the AT&T version. Is the sim locked to the carrier?. I am ordering it from India and hence i want an unlocked phone only.

17. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It's locked to AT&T. You want the international version.

18. cube macrumors G5

Except MS doesn't get all the app money.

19. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Jessica,
    Ever since your post here, the 520 has been nagging me. Well, Microsoft is selling them for $59, so I just bought one. Thanks to you.

20. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

HA! Well, hope you enjoy it. :) Send Nokia some feedback in the feedback app in settings and they might invite you to be on the waiting list to check out the "Nokia Black" update.

21. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I keep debating this phone as well. I wouldn't use it as a phone, but just a device to play around with on wifi at home.

22. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'll pick one up for my mom, to replace her GPS that broke last month.

And maybe convince her to join the 21st century :D

23. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Oh yeah! I don't use the maps on mine. But you can download the whole thing offline, which is really cool!

24. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

This is an excellent phone on it's own merits but also a great way to dip a toe into the Windows Phone arena. I was able to swap my StraightTalk microSIM (AT&T version) from my iPhone 4 into the 520.

Performance is excellent and battery life is on par with what I was getting on my iPhone 4 (iOS 5.1.1)

It also works well without a SIM for those looking for a media player... supports microSD cards.

25. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Of course Amazon's Canadian store doesn't have such a deal :rolleyes: Amazon Canada has been sucking a big one lately