Nokia makes MacBook phone lookalike, anyone interested?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fernandez21, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

2. celticpride678

3. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

The face looks ok but pop out keyboards are a pet hate for me on phones.

4. Schweitzer macrumors regular

Come on guys.

That's not what Fernandez21 expected.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

it's like a sidekick without the big scrolly wheel

6. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Let me try, This is a complete rip off of Apple!! Don't people know Apple created airbrushed aluminum?!? SUE Steve SUE NOWW!!!!

7. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Lol, so true. :D

8. Schweitzer macrumors regular

Yeah, that's better.

I already feel better. Thanks NikeTalk!

9. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I feel right at home :D

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The keyboard is cute, looks like the unibody, but the aluminum is a no go. They redid the iPhone for a reason.

11. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

12. jasonforisrael macrumors regular

there's not really anything about the metal that prevents it from being a good phone. i had better service with my 1st gen iphone than i do my iPhone 4.

13. chembox macrumors 6502a

Because plastic was cheaper? :D

14. Schweitzer macrumors regular

Can't the moderators intervene, please?

I don't like where this thread is going.

:(

15. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I haven't touched a Nokia since highschool. No thanks.

16. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I'm considering this phone over the iPhone 4, to use until next June when the new iPhone comes out.

Actually - I looked at the Nokia N900 and found that it has the same hardware as an iPhone 3G. Now as this device runs Maemo 6 (aka MeeGo; N900 runs Maemo 5), I'm pretty much interested. Nokia's build quality was always much better then those China stuff, and an 1GHz (or what ever it may sport) Linux-Phone that doesn't use Android looks pretty fine to me. I don't like the QT interface Android uses, Maemo uses GTK, which feels more natural to people who prefer Gnome (As iOS feels natural to Mac OS X/Aqua users).

17. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I think it looks great.

Too bad it's made by Nokia. :(

18. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Dell Streak Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I'm not really a fan of it to be honest. :(

19. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Why?
    I'd rather have a nokia, than a motorola, lg, etc...

20. Savor Suspended

Savor

The Nokia N9 has been a phone near the top of my wishlist right after I got my iP4. But it didn't exactly look like that from a few months ago. I preferred the other look from the GSMArena leaks, but this uni-body does look pretty cool. I want this more over the Nokia N8 because while it lacks a Xenon flash, you can use the LED flash as a torch for video recording. I also like how the buttons look big and spread out with that slide-out keyboard.

I'll wait until the PSP phone is announced (if ever). I want to have a wait-and-see approach with Meego. I can wait to get either phone in 2011 because I plan to head to Asia next Sept and feel reluctant to bring my iPhone 4 over there knowing many areas I visit can steal phones. I want my travel phone to be unlocked anyway.

Plus, both Sony and Nokia need to get their act together first. Disappointment releases after the next. I'll just enjoy my iPhone 4 for now as I wait.

21. bossxii macrumors 68000

That is a cutting edge phone if this is still 2005...

22. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Holy crap, THAT is a sharp looking phone! And it's Nokia so reception on it's worst day is bound to be double that of the iPhone on it's best day. If it doesn't ship with some one-off OS, I'm there.

23. kasakka macrumors 68000

Afaik MeeGo will use QT. It's just a framework, how it looks is entirely up to the developers.

I've had enough experience with the N900 to firmly say that it's a piece of crap. The touchscreen is horrible (very unresponsive), the build quality awful (things like button labels rubbing off the keyboard, flimsy and plasticy feel) and the software poorly made.

So in that sense I expect absolutely nothing from a Nokia phone. For years they've churned out nothing but crap. The N9, aside from being a complete Macbook ripoff in aesthetics, looks just plain awkward to use. Just look at the placement of the keys. Do we need two Shift keys on a phone? What is the Ctrl key doing near Enter? I also imagine that with the 4" display it will just a little bit too large for comfortable use in one hand, especially for people with smaller hands.

The software also isn't looking too good. In the video none of the actions show any indication that something was selected other than the screen changing. Maybe that's just the demonstration but if they can't figure out something that simple...