Nokia N900 is revolutionizing mobility!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cleverboy, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Ok, so I was recently reading an article on another Apple-related website, and saw this brazen, eye-catching ad from Nokia. Like the Droid ads hailing the device's game-changing nature, Nokia is shouting its "revolutionizing" qualities from the rooftops.

In 2007, I took a look at whether the Helio Ocean's device lived up to the iPhone-killer label it was trying to encourage (someone also revisited the question in 2008 comparing the 3G, with some interesting pros and cons). I like Nokia, but I'm looking at all the "shouting" and wondering if their recent lawsuits with Apple have everything to do with wanting full access to Apple's patents as well as a higher percentage of iPhone revenue than they currently get from other licensees who don't represent such a palpable threat.

Anyway. Here's the content of their latest product's website and ad:

NOKIA N900 IS REVOLUTIONIZING MOBILITY

VISIT: Official website
    VISIT: Ad Landing Page

• 5-megapixel digital camera
    • Carl Zeiss optical lens
    • Dual LED flash
    • 800 × 480 resolution video recording
    • ARM Cortex - A8 superscalar microprocessor core running at 600 MHz
    • Up to 1 GB of application memory (256 MB RAM, 768 MB virtual memory)
    • Linux-based operating system
    • 3D graphics accelerator with OpenGL ES 2.0 support
    • 32 GB internal storage
    • Expandable to up to 48 GB with an external microSD card
    • 3.5G and WLAN connectivity
    • Quadband GSM with GPRS and EDGE
    • Data transfers over a cellular network 10/2Mbps
    • Data transfers over Wi-Fi 54Mbps
    • Flash 9.4 support
    • Full-screen browsing
    • Touch-sensitive screen
    • 3.5" WVGA display
    • 800 × 480 resolution
    • Tactile and onscreen QWERTY keyboards
    • Removable battery
    • Assisted-GPS receiver
    • Ovi Maps pre-installed
    • Maemo media player
    • Music playback file formats: .wav, .mp3, .AAC, .eAAC, .wma, .m4a
    • Built-in FM transmitter
    • Ring tones: .wav, .mp3, .AAC, .eAAC, .wma, .m4a
    • FR, EFR, WCDMA, and GSM AMR

So, some MAJOR items the N900 SmartPhone KILLS the iPhone (and Android) on... Flash support, 5 megapixel Carl Zeis lens, 800 x 480 touch screen, and DVD-quality video recording.

But, I have to say... out of the starting gate... I imagine the unlocked-version-only price is a non-starter for everyone looking at the iPhone 3Gs, Palm Pre and Motorola Droid.

http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/comment/amazon-lowers-nokia-n900-price-down-to-480/
    Combine that with Apple's $229 iPod Touch alternative, and most people are left scratching their head about when the "revolution" is supposed to happen.

Couldn't Nokia crank in some subsidies and get a $199 version somewhere?
    One error on Amazon.com certainly had early-bird deal hunters scrambling last year:
    http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/dead-new-nokia-n900-us-199-probable-price-error-782512/2/

Nokia has always had super-high tech pricey phones that never enters the mainstream.
    It would be nice to think they're looking to shake things up.

~ CB

Attached Files:

2. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

3. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

I love my HTC droid, but that phone is pretty sick. The memory is very good, 256mb of ram and up to 768 virtual wow Nice post.

4. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

It's never been about specs alone. Nokia's N95, which was available before the original iPhone, had more impressive specs on paper, but as good a device as that is, the user experience(there's that phrase again) was certainly no revolution.

Judging by the N900 review videos, it's a handy device, but Nokia themselves are pitching it as a 'device that has phone capabilities' rather than a full-on smartphone, in the traditional sense.
    The Maemo(pronounced My-moh) OS looks decent too, but it looks too geeky to cut it, in the mainstream space.
    Also, when will Nokia join the capacative screen party?

5. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

What's a HTC Droid? You mean a Nokia iPhone? :D

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would love to get my hands on an HTC HD2. Nokia just doesn't do anything for me.

7. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

He means the HTC Droid Eris on Verizon, I would assume. The HTC Eris and the Motorola Droid (the one with the slide out keyboard, the one everyone associates with the "Droid" advertising) were actually released as both phones being in the "Droid" family of Verizon smartphones.

8. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

yes, that :)

9. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Oh . . . I'm sorry. :eek:

10. robj macrumors regular

I really love this toy, but as you said is for techies and geeks.

Maemo offers A LOT of possibilities, and it's completely open. You can even run many of your linux favourite apps.

The problem with this N900 is the price. N800 and N770 wasn't so expensive, due to their lack of phone functionality.

If the price would be around $200 I'd go for one without any doubt.

11. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Yup. But Android is more open . . . And Maemo is still a largely undeveloped platform due to the fact that it retails at a high price. In my country, Nokia does not sell it but only displays it besides the N97. Kind of weird.

12. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    After the first two paragraphs, feel free to skim it. It's mostly info provided so that you don't have to jaunt all over iCreation to form an opinion.

I think something I'm seeing... is that a lot of the battles are going to be over PRICE, not simply spec. For all the criticism Apple gets, for what they're offering, their prices are VERY good (and sometimes unbeatable and uncontested due to the product's uniqueness).

For instance, its weird to me, that I see Palm PDA's and iPod Touches as competing devices now... yet, the iPod offers MUCH more... and generally costs MUCH less (by $100-$200 in many cases). This said... Apple's "profitability" leads Nokia (a recent analyst report)... yet they are making products available for less (while leaving some features out).

Apple has been lowering iPhone prices since it debuted as it optimized its production. I'm not sure how Nokia can "revolutionize" anything if most consumers (especially after a worldwide recession) cannot afford to participate in the "revolution". I'd love to hear Nokia's full-throated response to that reality, but I'm thinking this ain't it.

Edit:
    I just read this on electronista (or at least, Alex read it to me) ;)
    http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/01/04/nokia.claims.new.hardware.and.services.key/
    To me, that makes it VERY clear why Nokia is fighting Apple on patents now. This is exactly the space (multitouch) that they feel they need to occupy.

~ CB

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

Nokia's always have the best specs and usually the best cameras on their phone - but one important thing it lacks - user experience. :p

14. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

We may not have flying cars in 2010 but damn we do have some really nice smart phones.

15. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Were you listening to XM this morning? Just curious because on one of the stations they were talking about how disappointing technology advancement has been since 2000 and how cars should fly and the such.

I wanted to call them and mention the iPhone among other things.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Getting more off topic...but yeah, I think this thought-process comes from the fact that people think "oh, yeah, I had the internet in 1999...nothing's changed!"

What they DON'T remember is that in 1999 there was no Youtube. No Wikipedia. No Facebook. No online virtual worlds. Online shopping was quite limited and video chat was something you only saw on tv spy shows. Yeah, you had the 'internet,' but it wasn't much like what you use today.

People tend to overlook the small, incremental improvements. We may not have flying cars, but a time-traveler from 1960 would be amazed by our cars' mileage and safety features.

17. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The user experience is quite good. I find the menus really intuitive. That being said, this is really a geeky phone. Dive too deep and you may find you need a couple hours with gainroot and vi. I am one of the few with the "random reboot" issue which to fix you have to set enable_off_mode to 0 in pmconfig. And one of the reboots apparently corrupted something because about a day later I had to reflash the thing because I was losing my settings.

Regardless, I love my N900 and while it is geeky you can avoid most of this by filling out an RMA - I'm just glad Nokia lets us actually get into our phones and lets us fix things ourself (but I do hope a FM update fixes that pmconfig issue as setting it to 0 does shorten the battery life a tad).

Maemo is a lot more open than Android btw, at least these aren't Java apps.

18. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

+1. It's kind of scary to me when I realise that I was using a Nokia 8250 just 8 years ago and the fact that it was up to date during that time. How fast has technology progressed indeed . . .

19. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Nokia.

Playing catching up since 2007. Realising it needs to do more? Hmm, not sure if they've got that one yet (see their recent proclaiments about future phones, and why they'll be the preferred choice).