Nokia N95 as a USB modem on a powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by apfel, Apr 20, 2007.

1. apfel macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am wondering whether it is possible to use a Nokia N95 telephone as a usb modem on a powerbook.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers Apfel

2. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Thats perfectly possible. I believe you just plug the phone in, then fire up iSync, and the rest is self explanatory from there on.

I could be wrong though, but I seem to remember getting my SE K800i working as a modem like that.

3. apfel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast answer. Are you sure. I thought you needed someting like a modem script. If it would work it would be great. However, I have to be absolutely sure.

4. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Well I'm afraid I can't confirm for you wether it would definetly work. I take it you havent got the N95 yet, you just want to know before ordering it?

Why not try a quick forum search, or if that fails, I'm sure there's something, somewhere that can answer your question via a quick Google search. :)

5. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I've just had a quick look around for you, and according to the Apple iSync supported phone page, the N95 isn't actually listed. Sorry, I was confusing it with the N90.

There may be a workaround though, before Apple supported my phone I just downloaded a 3rd party driver so it would work with iSync. As for using the N95 as a USB modem, I'm afraid I can't help you anymore than I have, try a forum search, I'm sure this question has been asked before, but for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure it will work.

6. apfel thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes you are right if it works I will buy it and if it does not work I have to find a different solution. I tried google but the information I did not find an answer. It seems to be possible via bluetooth but I am not sure about usb. I did not find an answer in the forum and I also asked t-mobile and checked the Nokia website but both were not helpful.

7. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

It seems strange that it would work via Bluetooth and not USB. I think your best bet is to check back on this thread in a few hours and hope that someone with more knowledge on the matter can shed some light.

8. apfel thread starter macrumors newbie

9. amnesiak macrumors member

amnesiak

10. apfel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link. I had a look at the side before and could not really figure out whether it would work with the N95 phone. I am relatively sure that you could connect the telephone and the computer via bluetooth. However, I thought that bluetooth had a relatively limited data rate and that the bluetooth connection would decrease my internet speed. Therefore I would prefer using the usb connection.

11. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

I was just doing a search for the N95 on these forums and found a link http://http://europe.nokia.com/mac/

that has plug-ins for the N95 to be compatible with iSync. I'm ordering mine on Monday!

By the way, if you looking for places to buy, the Chicago Flagship Retail store will actually place an order by phone and ship it to you, i think they have free fedex 2 day! phone goes for $750

good luck! hope that link helps ya!

12. amnesiak macrumors member

amnesiak

if you want to try, i think the N73 already has usb connection with the mac by default. so that way you only need the modem script. if the n95 uses the same usb cable it would work. but if it doesnt, try looking at the page i gave you. there's a driver for a usb cable for most serial to usb cable. good luck!

13. apfel thread starter macrumors newbie

I received today an E-mail from Nokia and they are saying that it does not work via usb but it works via bluetooth.

14. Dan Norris macrumors newbie

I think we need to hastle T-Mobile who told me a N 95 should work as a modem for a Mac using USB. I think pressure should be put on to Nokia too. Any ideas how we can do this effectively?

15. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Sorry for dragging up and old thread but I am considering buying a N95 and to be able to use it as a USB modem would be fab. I've been reading up on it and it looks possible according to this:

"Using the N95 as a modem for the Mac either via bluetooth or USB is easy. I just followed the instructions here for USB (there is the same for BT too)

http://europe.nokia.com/A4372155

For Orange in the UK the APN is 'ornageinternet'

All the APN's can be found on Ross's site and is one of the best resources out there... http://www.taniwha.org.uk/

Good luck - not that you'll need it."

Can anyone confirm that they have used a N95 as a USB Modem?

16. welshy1812 macrumors member

I have used my N95 with my MacBook Pro, it works fine but as I'm at work at the moment I can't give exact instructions of how I achieved it. It was fairly easy though.