Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the wake of a rocky launch of Apple's mapping services as part of iOS 6 last year, Nokia debuted its own iOS app bringing its "HERE" maps to the platform in the form of a free app. Based on the NAVTEQ mapping data used in many vehicle navigation devices, the HERE iOS app included a number of features including offline mode and transit and walking directions.

nokia_here_maps.jpg
Earlier this month, HERE quietly disappeared from the App Store, and The Indian Express reports (via Engadget) that Nokia has now issued a statement blaming unspecified changes in iOS 7 for driving the company's decision to remove the app.
When approached for a comment, a Nokia spokesperson sent The Indian Express an official statement. It read, "We have made the decision to remove our HERE Maps app from the Apple App Store because recent changes to iOS 7 harm the user experience. iPhone users can continue to use the mobile web version of HERE Maps under m.here.com., offering them core location needs, such as search, routing, orientation, transit information and more, all completely free of charge."
As the report notes, the HERE iOS app was not particularly well received by users, having suffered from a number of bugs and received no updates during its year on the App Store. Consequently, it seems likely that poor adoption and an unwillingness by Nokia to invest significant effort in fixing the app's issues played significant roles in HERE's demise on iOS as well.

Without more information from Nokia, however, the exact set of circumstances leading to the removal of HERE remains unclear, and it is unknown exactly what changes in iOS 7 the company is referring to in its statement. Some users have criticized the look and feel of the redesigned operating system, with some usability issues also having been raised.

The dramatic design change in iOS 7 has also led many third-party developers to invest significant resources in redesigning their own apps to match the new aesthetic, and perhaps Nokia simply felt that it did not want to commit to make the necessary changes and improvements to its iOS app in order to attract and retain users.

Article Link: Nokia Pulls 'HERE' Maps App for iOS, Citing iOS 7 Changes That 'Harm the User Experience'

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
All I read was "Unwillingness to change to consumers requests". Seems to be a pretty common thing in the Nokia brass :rolleyes:

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I don't think anyone will miss this. The 'HERE' maps app was pretty bad.

It's ironic that Nokia are complaining about iOS 7's user experience when their own app was so awful.

The real reason they're pulling it is that hardly anyone was using it.

actripxl

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2002
Chicago, IL
I wonder if anyone on iOS even used this, I have a Windows Phone myself and really like the Here apps from Nokia. Here drive took a bit to get used to but overall I now like it almost as much as Google maps, don't have an iPhone so I can't speak for Apples maps.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
What a bunch of crap. It's not IOS 7 that's harming the experience, it's Nokia's lack of commitment to update their apps for iOS.

They simply want to focus on their own platforms rather than their competitors. That's understandable and they can easily say that, but there's no need to push the blame aside, it just makes you look childish.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
just look at that UI .... total 2005 vibe. Nokias failure in the phone business makes so much sense.

Xiph0s

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
New York, NY
Lmao, yeah okay. Probably Microsofts decision more than it was Nokias decision. They wanted it exclusive to the WP experience even though the app is terrible.

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
If only there was a way for developers to test their apps in upcoming iOS updates before they came out so this didn't happen.....

/sarcasm

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
"Our ****ty app with a ****ty user experience was so ****ty that we decided to discontinue it in order to offer an even ****tier user experience that takes less time from our developers. But hey, let's blame iOS 7 harming the user experience, even though we could have never used iOS 7 APIs like Google is doing."

Way to gain credibility, Nokia.

Last edited:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
"Our ****ty app with a ****ty user experience was so ****ty that we decided to discontinue it in order to offer an even ****tier user experience. But hey, let's blame iOS and its user experience."

Ecactly, they have the dev kit for the new ios, they just have to adapt like every other developer. Regardless of whether or not people like iOS 7 in general, all third party apps have adjusted very well all things considered.

chumps52

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2013
Scotland
I just wish Apple would get rid of the terrible apps that haven't been updated for years/don't work....
EG just automatically get rid of apps that haven't been updated for 2 years or longer etc.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Sure, when all your efforts to make a popular app fail, blame iOS7 and quit.

If by "fruity" you mean "useful", I totally agree. If not, please go back to your bridge.

Go to any thread on here that isn't about Apple and you'll get crowds of people spewing massive hate. I don't know if you knew this, but this site has a massive amount of fanboys.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I just wish Apple would get rid of the terrible apps that haven't been updated for years/don't work....
EG just automatically get rid of apps that haven't been updated for 2 years or longer etc.

Well some apps from the days of yore are still functional, and people with older ios devices still need them. I'd say apple could be stricter with dev's on scheduled updates in relation new ios revisions. Perhaps they should at least offer incentives for those that do keep their software updated.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Go to any thread on here that isn't about Apple and you'll get crowds of people spewing massive hate. I don't know if you knew this, but this site has a massive amount of fanboys.

This site has sickening degrees of one sidedness on the apple side alright, I'm here two years and belive me I've noticed!
But virtually anywhere else even mentioning you use an apple product results in getting berated with abuse. I try to keep an open mind but I think apple make some very cool stuff, and I especially love really old Apple ii's and vintage 80's macintoshs. I use an iphone and mac today, but I use a pc for gaming and I think windows 7 is a pretty darn stable OS. I virtually never have issue with it like, just like my mac. No system is flawless. On the mobile side, android is more customisable and has far more features across the board. Oddly enough the iphone 5s actually beats all other android phone right now in raw processing power, but this is not usually the case. iOS is restricted and simpler, but I use it for daily calling, texting, light gaming, web browsing etc. my iphone excels in these areas. If I want to do server management or music production I'll sit at my mac. Any messing around with software I'll do on my pc as well. Also my iphone works fluidly with iTunes for music management, even over wifi. I have yet to see such a reliable and effortless music organisation system from any other company.

I think most people that hate on other systems haven't really used them much. Almost evey OS has its advantages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.