Nokia releases N1 a 7.9" Android tablet

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Rogifan, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Rogifan, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014

Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I wonder if this will be competition for the Nexus 9 (which has had build quality issues).

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/18/7239709/nokia-n1-tablet-price-release-date

http://n1.nokia.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: apparently Nokia is licensing its name to Foxconn:

http://www.androidcentral.com/nokia-n1-249-android-tablet-comes-lollipop-out-box

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

NO ..... or to extend that answer

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

With an atom processor, smaller screen and a third party manufacturer responsible for it's OS updates - No it's not a Nexus 9 competitor.

That being said - as a device with it's own merits - it looks nice indeed, and if priced right would certainly give other 7 - 8" devices from third parties a run for their money. I'd rather this than a tab S for example.

3. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

I'm sure it will be competition for the ipad as well. Why just the Nexus 9?
    Foxconn makes great products. They do a lot of manufacturing for Apple as well as lot of other big name companies.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Why the Nexus 9? Because it runs Android not iOS. And yes I do know that Foxconn manufactures Apple products.

5. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

But its a tablet.......consumers looking to buy a tablet do not always just buy Android or IOS. Then there are households with kids and multiple devices. It not just one platform against another.

So this is the Rogifan obligatory Android ding post. It seems you only post in the Alternative section if you can say something negative about Android in some way.......

Build quality issues in the Nexus 9?
    Not so.....
    http://www.cnet.com/products/google-nexus-9/

http://www.engadget.com/products/htc/nexus/9/

6. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Where have I said anything negative about Android? :confused: And I could post plenty of links of complaints about the Nexus 9's build quality, especially people having issues with excessive light bleed. I posted some in the Nexus 9 specific thread.

7. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

You just proved my point....you are only here to complain about Android.

You only join discussions if there is a way you can spin something negative about Android. This is well known. Those are the only post any of us see from you. It is well known here on MR that you are a big Apple fan........
    Do you have any Android devices?

8. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Well I wonder how Microsoft feel about this? Just a short time after they bought Nokia's mobile devices division and they are already back in the competition!

An apple fan on MR? Who'd have thought it!

9. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

Who would have thunk it? in the Alternative section no less! /s :)

10. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

So the only people who can post here are those who are not not fans of Apple?

11. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

No not at all....but why post in the Alternative section if your only goal is to spread something negative about a platform you do not own? Isn't that trolling? I mean you're not here in the alternative section to be a Android fan now are you?

12. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Interesting. The screen has a 4:3 aspect ratio, and the form factor looks as close to an iPad mini as anything I've seen. Thanks for posting this.

13. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

No but he's right about you only coming in here with negative vibes

14. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

Looks familiar

----------

I think we all know his intent by now but if we ignore that and just discuss the product, everything should be fine.

15. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

Nokia must be looking forward to a lawsuit. That's an iPad mini copycat if ever I've seen one.

16. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

$249 US

17. cube macrumors G5

18. Jibbajabba macrumors 65816

Makes no difference in which section you are. You could be in the "Ultimate no Apple Product in here" section of this forum and you'd still be hated for liking Android :p

19. Rodster macrumors 68040

That's a nice looking tablet along with a 4:3 aspect ratio! Count me interested unless Timmy calls his lawyers and sues the hell out of Nokia.

20. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

It would look great next to my iPad Mini. But really, I've never pointed out an apple copy before but this is one if I've ever seen one. Still doesn't stop me from being interested though. Never bought an intel android device before.

21. AppleRobert macrumors 603

A tough sell even with the price and aspect ratio considering the iPads will be on sale $75 to $100 for BF.

22. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Oh dear, no gps.

Next!

23. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

My interest is piqued. Just not piqued enough to sway me from getting an iPad Air 2 or Mini 3 on Black Friday.

24. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Definitely not enough to replace an iPad - but depending on the bulk of the Nokia skin, I could be interested in picking one up just for the heck of it.

One of the nicest looking Android tablets out there IMO (makes sense since I'm an Apple hardware fan).

Can anyone provide any insight into what the Nokia skin is like?

25. ozaz macrumors 65816

4:3 :)

Now for some Windows tablets with 4:3 please