Nokia releases Touch competitor...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MargeSimpson, Oct 18, 2007.

1. MargeSimpson macrumors member

2. pimmysays macrumors member

I have the older version of this before I replaced it with my touch, I like to see reviews and then we'll see how good/bad it actually is.

3. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

Looks like it's got the camera and microphone. Skype video chat, and photo-taking are features it has over the ipod touch...that's about it.

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Also a physical keyboard and a larger and higher-resolution screen.

5. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

but it doesnt have sweet 3rd party apps like we do

6. SuperDaddy macrumors member

7. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

I forgot about the keyboard..and it does have loads of 3rd party apps..it's based on Linux and the N800 seems to have a big following...but it's still not as elegant as a touch or iphone though..

8. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

Looks good but i think it will be to big, i find my touch a little bit larger then i would have liked and the nokia is going to be bigger in all dimensions, other then that it offers some nice things and will be a good competitor to the iPod Touch.

9. applecheese macrumors member

10. dcv macrumors G3

This isn't really anything new - well yes it's the latest model released earlier this week - but it hasn't got that many new features over the previous model (the N800) and this product line has been around a lot longer than the touch. I've got the older N770 which was really handy for carrying around for internet browsing but I've now bought an iPod touch to replace it. The 800px wide screen on these products really is fantastic though.

The N810 (like the N800 did) has a built-in camera for Skype video chat and also supports Flash, so in that sense it's a better product than the touch but I'm not sure I'll be buying one. I rather like the smaller/thinner form factor of the iPod but without the ability to do video chat it's still not the ultra-mobile wi-fi solution I've been looking for...

11. Gerard. macrumors member

In my opinion, thats one ugly Nokia. No chance of beating the ipod Touch.

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

actually the nokia devices such as the n800 and this replacement run on Linux and have a thriving 3rd party deb community. I had an n800 and it's a great gadget but not as polished as the touch, which is much smaller and a far better media player

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I saw the older model "Internet Mobile Device" in the store a while back when it first came out...

This is the 3rd or 4th generation for them? The one I tried out was much older model.

Ho-hum...

Apple, of course, is the only one that can pull it off.

14. bloody macrumors member