Nokia stepping up the gallery - face recognition in phone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TwoBytes, Mar 31, 2009.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

2. Tosser macrumors 68030

They're close, but I doubt Apple has any patents regarding "gimmicky" ...

Seriously, though, face detection has been out for a long time in cameras. It is not something Apple could sue over even if they wanted to.

Besides, I prefer competition rather than sueing. Perhaps Apple should just step up to the plate instead of cooking up half-arsed products pimping it to the lowest common denominator consumer.

I, for one, can't wait for this fad to be over.

3. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Which "fad" is that?
    Consumer-oriented software?
    or
    the iPhone?

If you think either is "fad" that has a end in sight, you may want to have a plan b.

4. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Doomed feature. I can already see Apple implementing the face detection and the press and hold, but that giant Core Animation visual is doomed.

No way can mobile processor run that smoothly enough to be enjoyable. Certainly not on a Nokia, probably not on an iPhone either. You can see how choppy it is, and harp all you want about it being a prototype, but ask yourself this, how much has coverflow actually improved since it began? It still lags terribly on almost every device that uses it.

5. Tosser macrumors 68030

Someone is way too young to remember such fads as the "Walkman" and US-specific fads like 8-tracks and so on.

I did mean the iPhone fad, but I didn't mean "consumer oriented" software. No, I meant "Tying down the average dumb consumer by means of limiting and gimicky software based on selling lowest common denominator gimicky hardware by way of fashion hype to the lowest common denominator consumer who are willing to buy into anything as long as it makes them "look good"".

Clear enough this time around? :eek: :p

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

nokia can do whatever they want, i don't think they will put a dent in iPhone sales anytime soon. especially with all the hype about 3.0 and the 'new iPhone'.

7. Tosser macrumors 68030

You're right. I very much doubt that too.
    Although, I haven't heard as much to the "new iPhone" as we did when the 3G was imminent.

8. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

nokia's are generally choppy. The iphone is smooth as oil late on a saturday night....so i'm sure anything apple does will be ok.

9. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Yes, in which case you are even more wrong. The fad you're hoping goes away is the basis for all consumer-targeted marketing. Sorry, as annoying as it is (i agree), its here to stay.

10. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

IF they do it, then yes it will be like butter. Otherwise they won't bother. Thats the inherent value they carry throughout the product line, and its why I buy/develop for their products to begin with.

11. Tosser macrumors 68030

If you think that things like the iPhone (and other brand/model specific fads) are here to stay, you really need to back off and take some history lessons.
    Secondly, I don't mean that "consumer oriented" apps aren't here to stay, no, I meant what I said. That with the iPhone fad, Apple has managed to make it perfectly fine to have the becoming even more tied in than previously. It's suddenly perfectly fine, now that Apple is doing, but if you saw something even resembling this from Microsoft, you guys would be all over it.

If Apple had had more influence and much more brawn, they would have been slapped down hard because of abuse of monopoly. They aren't big enough for that, though, but they have managed to set a precedence where it's okay to offer very limiting options for the consumer and in effect tie them down completely. What the hell happened to catering to the consumer by offering them good products instead of giving them something to distract them with while you shove a porcupine up their rear?

Sony, a much [edit: BIGGER] company than Apple, tried limiting their consumers (ATRAC, if anyone remembers that) – fortunately people woke up and competitors took a chance. Thereamong Apple. Now they themselves are acting at least as bad towards the consumer. But that's okay, "because this is not a fad". No, I guess people will forever be pleased with not only limited offers, but limiting offers.

In short, this is what I think about the "The iPhone is not a fad":

12. crazydrumma macrumors regular

face recognition has been around for a long time. my lg dare has it.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeah, things that Apple hasn't invented:

Touch Screen
    Cover Flow
    Spaces
    Facial Recognition
    MP3 Players
    Phones

Things that Apple has implemented better than most:
    All of the above

14. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Yawn.

15. Tosser macrumors 68030

Thank you for that well-thought-out response. If all else fails, go for the yawn to show that if nothing else, at least the uvula is positioned in there.
    :rolleyes:

16. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Apple could implement it for images to be processed in the cloud, and then returned with the detections. iLife 09/2010 will have a lot more options available if they want to code and implement some

18. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Ok would you I rather thank you for the entertainment your provided?

19. Tosser macrumors 68030

I don't really care one way or the other, I'm just thinking of the intellectual capacity it must take to make such an irrelevant pseudocomment.

20. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Probably equivalent to what is needed to write what you wrote.

21. Tosser macrumors 68030

LOL, really?
    So let me get this straigth – should I interpret that as either:

1) A yawn is a valid argument in your mind, and that is your average capacity?

2) The yawn was the most valid counter argument you could muster in this debate?

3) You were arguing your case as best as you could, given the facts before you?

Or is it simply that you had no better to do than to try a bit of trolling, but you weren't really capable of doing much else than to spell out that you really don't have anything to say, that you don't want to recognise valid arguments?

I lean to the latter.

22. takenthesmeg macrumors member

As a programmer who went to uni/college I can say your maths and programming skills make a HUGE difference. If you give two programmers the same task it is very likely that one will write more efficient code. It comes down to understanding how to make algorithms efficient. That said, once Apple gets something right they only have a few devices to test on so it's a lot easier to ensure smooth graphics etc. Remember the Mac Vs PC ads "It's not your fault" :p

23. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Not only face recognition - they "apparently" are doing point and click and recognise for UK/US movie posters - looks like an interesting start for object recognition and tagging...