Nokia takes on Apple's iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by D4F, Oct 2, 2008.

1. D4F Guest

D4F

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

It's good to see other companies compete with new ideas. I like having choices and companies that need to keep their products fresh to compete for consumers.

Apple's strategy has been for an easy and complete user experience. I like that my devices "talk" to each other because it gives them for value for me. It's a plus for Apple since people will buy more of their products to continue or expand this experience.

I'll be interested to see how Nokia's hardware and software work together.

3. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Am I understanding this right?

Nokia will add some unspecified amount to the price of the phone that they will pay to the record companies. In return, the person who purchases the phone will be able to download an unlimited number of songs and keep them forever?

There has to be a catch. Maybe you will only be able to use the music on the one device? That would be a dealbreaker for me. If not, why wouldn't they let Apple or Amazon sell a one-year, unlimited, DRM-Free plan for the same price as the markup on the "Comes with Music" phone?

4. icantbelieveit macrumors member

It sounds like the music you download can be played for as long as you like after the 12months, but only on the 1 phone or computer. So if you change your phone or computer, you'd be stuffed!

Im liking the idea though. Having unlimited downloads would entice me to download music i wouldnt usually and probably discover new artists. Plus, i'd be happy to pay an extra $50 on top of the price of my iphone to download unlimited music for it! Apple need to look into this!

5. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

If only they had a stand alone nokia music store so we could take advantage of this deal! Excellent value for money.