Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nokia this morning announced it will buy French health tracking company Withings for an estimated $192 million, as the company seeks to re-establish itself in the consumer electronics market.

Withings makes iOS-compatible smart connected home products as well as a range of health and fitness wearables such as the Go activity tracker and its stylish Activité smartwatch range. The company's products sync with its Health Mate iOS app, which lets users track their activity, weight, and food consumed, and interact with friends to reach fitness goals, among other features.

withingsactivite.jpg

Nokia has focused on its network equipment business and commercial VR solutions since it sold its mobile division to Microsoft in 2013. The Finnish firm's most recent high-profile product announcement was its $60,000 Ozo VR capture camera aimed at the film industry, but the latest announcement marks a significant shift for the company as it looks to expand into consumer digital health and the Internet of Things sector.

President and CEO of Nokia Rajeev Suri commented on the acquisition in a press release announcing the move.
We have said consistently that digital health was an area of strategic interest to Nokia, and we are now taking concrete action to tap the opportunity in this large and important market. With this acquisition, Nokia is strengthening its position in the Internet of Things in a way that leverages the power of our trusted brand, fits with our company purpose of expanding the human possibilities of the connected world, and puts us at the heart of a very large addressable market where we can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives.
The acquisition will see Withings' 200 employees integrated into Nokia Technologies when the deal goes through later in the year.

Article Link: Nokia to Acquire Health Tracking Firm Withings in $192 Million Deal

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
Nokia could be a contender down the road. They have watched all the big players and hopefully will learn from their mistakes. Nokia has been around for a long time. New market, let's see what happens.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
This is crap news. I'm a massive Withings fan and I have so far loved their products.

I've got the scales, a couple of activités (one for me and one for the wife), the webcam and the blood pressure monitor. It's all excellent stuff.

Nokia will just add red-tape and bloat to the organisation and slow down innovation and progress. Not happy.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
You either go the Microsoft route and pick yourself up, or the Blackberry route and just rot to death.

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
Nokia could be a contender down the road. They have watched all the big players and hopefully will learn from their mistakes. Nokia has been around for a long time. New market, let's see what happens.
I hope they are able to manage and scale Withings properly. I want to be optimistic.

Reactions: 69Mustang

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I don't think Samsung is lacking the ability to track health. More like they acquired this company to make a fashionable watch. Because their watches are like Casio of smartwatch, as opposed to Apple they're marketing it as a luxurious and premium.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm officially nervous. I really like Withings and own several of their health and home products and planned to build out my smart home with more of them.

Considering what happened to Nest after it was acquired, I'm concerned that Nokia will pick a side and close out some of their customers.

That said, Nokia is an innovative company and not necessarily tied to an operating system overlord. Maybe this will be a good thing. I just hope they don't disrupt the good thing that Withings has going.

Last edited:

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I love my scale but the watch was rather disappointing. Just replaced it with a $200 Tissot, though still looking forward to Apple Watch iteration.

Anyway, the thermo looks really promising. I hope they keep building out their catalog despite the big-business-buyout.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
I don't think Samsung is lacking the ability to track health. More like they acquired this company to make a fashionable watch. Because their watches are like Casio of smartwatch, as opposed to Apple they're marketing it as a luxurious and premium.

Did you even read the article? Talk about knee-jerk reaction.

Focusing back to the article-I love my Withings scale and use my Withings Healthmate iOS application on a daily basis. I've been tempted to buy their watches but keep holding out for v2.0 of the Apple Watch.

Hopefully Nokia doesn't change Withings too much.

Reactions: 69Mustang

LarryJW

Suspended
Oct 29, 2015
The company didn't sell itself to Nokia. The owner wanted to cash out and exchanged his company for money and sell his employees down the river.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
I really love a lot of the Withings products. I hope Nokia only allows them to have the funding to pump out more great products. If Google or Facebook had bought them I would have been a lot more upset given their tendency to buy things only to acquire talent and wind down their business.

PlutoPrime

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
Noooooooooooooo!

I own most of the Whitings products and they're such a great small company. Nokia has managed to ruin everything they touch so far. Please don't ruin this one :(

Reactions: macaximx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.