Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I think Street View is what I miss the most of Google Maps. With Google Maps out of the picture, I am more open to mapping products from other vendors including the hated Apple maps.

StreetView is almost useless in a cell phone. It takes a lot of bandwidth and you can't really use it when mobile (under 3G connection).

Last year in my vacations I downloaded the whole map of Uruguay in my old Nokia N8 (it isn't a big country, but the package had around 80MB). Nokia Maps helped a lot finding directions and interest points/hotels/restaurants. It even had 3D models of the main touristic buildings. Streetview is nice in a big screen like in a desktop monitor but it's just a toy-feature in a smartphone.

I hope Nokia brings such an app for Android because Google's one isn't really good offline as Nokia Maps.

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Street View

I think Street View is what I miss the most of Google Maps. With Google Maps out of the picture, I am more open to mapping products from other vendors including the hated Apple maps.

Nokia Maps has a certain percentage of street view. More coverage is coming. I think if you use here.net and see a little man in the bottom corner you can use street view.

----------

A bit surprising, IMO, considering the fact that Nokia will lose some of the advantage its phones could have over the iPhone by making this available for the iPhone. What's next, FaceTime, iCloud and Siri for Android, all supplied by Apple?

Nice to have the maps available even when offline.

I think I will check this out when more details become available.

The iOS version doesn't have voice guided drive navigation or augmented reality maps, or a full set of offline maps for a country. The Nokia Windows Phone version will always get the best features.

----------

Funny. A week ago, I've used Navigon, which proudly announces its Navteq maps, and it told me to turn left into a one way street in the wrong direction.

I'm not saying it's perfect but you have to buy map updates for Navigon. Perhaps your map data is out of date.

Stig McNasty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
You mean the one I just found on Apple Maps? 34 Warwick Road Kensington England SW5 9 UK.

Which by the way is the EXACT same result you get when you use Google Maps.

Talk about full of it.

Apologies to jamojamo, Apple etc. A Maps wasn't playing three weeks ago when I wanted directions. So, an improvement :)

----------

Agreed. I've tried to put our London company on the Apple map for months now via 'reporting a problem' link in the app. I think this functionality must be completely ignored on the Apple part because our company is still unavailable to find, despite being registered on Yelp and everywhere else forever...

And I thought Apple were using Yell/Yellp!

The Satellite imagery has improved tremendously since I last posted… at least here in darkest, deepest E Sussex (hardly high on Infinite Loop's radar I imagine)!

Gluben

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
What I find interesting is that Nokia's Here has 3D mapping which is powered by C3 Technologies.

Which was the same company Apple bought last year.

So is Nokia using Apple's mapping? Does that mean closer Nokia ties are imminent?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.