Nokia to switch its phone OS to Windows Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dangleheart, Feb 9, 2008.

1. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If true this seems like very major news. I don't get why Nokia would adopt Windows Mobile unless there is some incentive from Microsoft in there.

Wonder if any Symbian OS users will follow suit, SE, LG etc.

2. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

Whats far more likely is that Nokia will license windows mobile, and incorporate it in some of their hardware devices. Nokia commands over 60 percent of the world cellphone software market, so I don't see the incentive for them to do a complete overhaul to Windows Mobile.

There are plenty of people who greatly prefer Symbian over any variant of Windows Mobile, and I'm not sure the added inclusion of WinMO converts; would negate the exodus of people abandoning in favor of Rim/OS X/ etc.

3. Archie- macrumors regular

Nokia gained market share lat year all over the world... except in USA. If they want to compete in the smartphone world in USA they either have to sell USA on Symbian (not going too well so far), use blackberry OS (not available), use the iPhone OS (not available) or use Windows Mobile.

It would make sense to make 1 or 2 Windows Mobile handsets, mainly for the American market, in addition to the usual 20 Symbian models. On the other hand this rumour has already been debunked, and we already know Nokia is not making a WM device.

Companies like Sony Ericsson however, who's smartphones have been selling really poorly are much more likely to switch.

4. dangleheart thread starter macrumors 6502

Where? Can you give some pointers?

5. Archie- macrumors regular

http://johnstarkweather.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!C20C0C3BE979B944!580.entry

Nokia does license exchange Activesync, PlayForSure and windows live from MS, but so far they have not made the final step yet to a full wm device. Since they own >60% of the smartphone market and growing, there hardly seems to be a need to.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

If they want the US market, they need to...Nokia doesn't do as well in US, as it does in Europe and the rest of the world. Since Apple is doing so well in the US, but not nearly as good international, they might want to hit Apple hard, before Apple brings out a 3G iPhone(with MMS, Video etc) which could sell very well in Europe...Nokia's strong hold.

Or maybe wants more then 60% of the market....also Samsung, HTC and BlackBerry are stepping it up. And their is the wild card Palm...I'm hoping they pull a rocking new OS one day.

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I can't see it myself. It's just Microsoft's wishful thinking.

8. Matti macrumors regular

This will never happen. Just usual MIcrosoft FUD.

Balmer used to come to Finland once every year and ask Nokia to adapt Windows mobile. Nokia said no, and then we saw all red Ballmer trying to be all diplomatic on interviews on finnish TV. He must to have thrown few chair out of his private jet over the Baltic sea. Thats how pissed he allways seemed on TV after meeting with Nokia people.

Nokia's CEO said few years ago that they consider MS to be their biggest threat. That's why Nokia invested so much into Symbian. Even if Nokia was to change OS, Windows mobile wouldnt make any sense. WM has been total and utter failure. Sold few phones in the odd and strange American market and pretty much nothing outside NA. Maemo is Nokia's back up plan if something goes terribly wrong with Symbian.

9. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

The sad thing is that Palm is already using Windows Mobile on some of their phones.

10. 3247 macrumors regular

According to Wikipedia, Nokia owns 49.7% of Symbian Ltd.
    Maybe they'll release one or two models based on Windows Mobile but no way will Nokia switch completely.

11. Archie- macrumors regular

As predicted, it was not Nokia that went WM, but Sony Ericsson.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/cor...edetails/key.PressResource.Global_X1-20080210

[​IMG]

• Unique arc sliding design
    • QWERTY keyboard
    • XPERIA panels finger-based UI
    • Windows Mobile Professional
    • Quad-band GSM, Quad-band HSDPA
    • 3" 800x480 WVGA display
    • A-GPS
    • Wi-Fi
    • Bluetooth with A2DP
    • FM radio
    • 3.2 megapixel camera
    • Up to 400MB memory
    • miniSD expansion
    • 110x53x16.7mm, 145g
    • Available in black and silver in the second half of 2008

Interestingly they are aiming for the media market instead of the business market, which is one of the areas WM is pretty poor at (unlike the iPhone for example)

Some are calling it SE's iPhone killer
    http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/02/10/sony.ericsson.xperia.x1/

Anyway, that makes Nokia the only holdout from the big 5, with LG, Samsung, Motorola and Sony Ericsson all doing WM phones.

12. dangleheart thread starter macrumors 6502

Archie-, on a lighter note, whenever anyone mentions an iPhone killer, my comeback is 'It's like selling cheese on toast and calling it a 'Pizza Killer' ' :) ( I picked this up from member surferfromuk on this forum - LG Voyager thread from Oct last year )