Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular accessory maker Nomad today announced the reintroduction of the ChargeKey, a classic Nomad product that has been updated with a new look and with 2023 performance standards.

nomad-chargekey.jpg

The ChargeKey is a pocketable charger that attaches to a keychain. It features magnetic tips that connect to one another when the ChargeKey is not in use, and then when needed, the two halves fold out into a small charging cable with a durable, braided design. When folded, the ChargeKey is 7.6cm long, and when unfolded, it is 12cm.

There's a USB-C version of the ChargeKey with two USB-C connectors for charging an iPad, Mac, or future USB-C iPhone with a USB-C power adapter, and there's also a Lightning version with a Lightning connector for the iPhone and a USB-C end that connects to a computer or power adapter. It can fast charge an iPhone up to 20W with an appropriate power adapter.

Back when Nomad launched in 2013, the ChargeKey was one of its first products. The old version was available with Lightning and microUSB, compared to the new version with USB-C connectivity. We were able to test out the ChargeKey ahead of launch, and it is an ideal portable charger for use when you need a cable on the go. It should stand up well to abuse with its braided cable.

Nomad's Lightning ChargeKey is priced at $35, and the USB-C ChargeKey is priced at $25.

Article Link: Nomad Introduces Revamped 'ChargeKey' With Lightning and USB-C Options

• Sad
Reactions: iShater

Eric_WVGG

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
gentrification fallout zone
kind of surprising to see some much confusion regarding this product… This is an updated version of Nomad's very first product, a Kickstarter project IIRC. (nope, I'm wrong, second project)

… anyway, it's a glorious device to have, dunno why it took seven years to replace USB-A with USB-C but whatever.

Reactions: CC77

Station Grey

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2020
Hang on, what is this exactly?

I genuinely thought it was a charger, what with the article describing it as a charger, and thought it looked quite cool. Like a little emergency backup to make a call or two.

But, er, it's just a cable, right? The Nomad naming is dubious, the MR article is appalling!

nickawhite

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2019
New York, NY
Came here for the name confusion 🤣 Also amused that it is a product aimed at being super compact...and includes a completely unnecessary fob with it. Feels like a missed opportunity - pop a tiny battery that would give you even 5% charge, and maybe an AirTag holder? Would be terrific!

• Wow
Reactions: iShater

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I definitely prefer my Native Union Key Cable, but I wish it came in a USB-C version. There should some sort of cover/cap for this to keep pocket lint and such out of the USB connector.

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
Back when I used a battery pack that was wired, I had a short rubberized lightning cable that was only about an inch or two long, pretty much like this. I liked it, as it meant I could put the battery and iPhone together in my pocket, or just hold them together, and I wouldn’t have to deal with a typical cable which would be unnecessarily long for the task.

Nowadays modern portable battery packs have MagSafe and don’t even use a cable at all, unless you really wanted to for some reason. But why would you? What other use case is there for a cable THIS short in this day and age?

mickobizzle

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2023
like everyone else here, I came to comments to find out, WTF?!
i was wowed by the clickbait title -- got me, again!!! goddamit! -- and even clicked through to the nomad site (these guys' fave to promote), but nowhere is listed the battery power storage capacity.

IT IS NOT A BATTERY, IT'S AN ADAPTER BETWEEN USB-C AND LIGHTNING.

from nomad (below); even the first sentence is misleading!:
"With a USB-C and Lightning end, ChargeKey powers all your Lightning devices. Plug ChargeKey into a power source and begin on-the-go charging in no time."

badly done, MR. but nothing like the clickbait title trickery of 9to5.

SanderEvers

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Netherlands
Guess CableKey sounded less interesting to them.

It's not a charger or a key, for that matter.

It should be CableKeyring, well that doesn't really roll of the tongue.

Also I have 3 issues with it:
1. You'll still need a wall adapter, so it's quite pointless. (if you take your adapter with you, you can easily take a longer cable)
2. It's short, unless you use an extension cord for your adapter (another thing to take with you) it's useless.
3. A lot of dirt is going to build up in and on the connectors. Which will end up in your USB-C port. Which are a pain to clean.

Blusterman

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
Even when called out, by at least a dozen people, for reporting blatantly false (not misleading) info on this product, the article still hasn't been corrected.

Confirming, once again, that MacRumors staff enjoys looking stupid.

Maybe I could sell them an over priced auto battery charger that is really just a pair of two foot long jumper cables.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
damn…thought this was gonna be a portable battery with a cable attachment that all goes on a keyring. that would be a great product. this, I cannot justify $25/$35 for.

Reactions: StaceyMJ86

CC77

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2016
Chicago, IL
Came here for the name confusion 🤣 Also amused that it is a product aimed at being super compact...and includes a completely unnecessary fob with it. Feels like a missed opportunity - pop a tiny battery that would give you even 5% charge, and maybe an AirTag holder? Would be terrific!
The fob is a separate Nomad product, an Airtag holder. This is just about the cable. Not clear what all the commotion in forums is about. I had one of the USB-A to Lightning versions of these for a while, it was great in a pinch. Happy it was updated to USB-C as that had less utility for me after USB-A left the Macbook.

Reactions: KentuckyHouse
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.