Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nomad today announced a pair of new products, including a new USB-C PD wall charger and new Sport Cables. These accessories are both available to order and ship out today on Nomad's website.

download-5.jpeg

The 30W USB-C GaN AC Adapter is a small, minimalist wall charger with a 30W power output that supports iPhone fast charging. This accessory costs $29.95 and does not come with a USB-C cable. In terms of size, Nomad's charger is only marginally larger than Apple's 5W USB-A charger.

Secondly, Nomad has a new collection of Sport Cables, which it says are similar to its existing kevlar cables but come in at a cheaper price and with a nylon braid. There are three versions available: USB-A to Lightning, USB-C to Lightning, and USB-C to USB-C. The Lightning cables are MFi certified and cost $24.95 each.

download-6.jpeg

With both the 30W AC Adapter and one of the USB-C Sport Cables, you'll be able to fast charge an iPhone. With this feature, you can get up to 50 percent charge in under 30 minutes on modern iPhones. The 30W AC Adapter can also be used to power Apple accessories like the MagSafe Charger.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Nomad. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Nomad Launches 30W USB-C Charger and Sport Cables With iPhone Fast Charging Support

macintoshmac

macrumors 603
May 13, 2010
What the heck is a “sport” USB-C charging cable? Am I going to be hiking while charging from my wall outlet? Does it double as a jump rope?

Cable might have been tested to not snap when throwing around a bull as a noose. It may be possible that people below a certain weight may be able to use this cable as a rappelling gear. Nomad wasn't clear why is the cable Sport.

Reactions: zubikov and Marie.D

sparkinstx

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2017
What the heck is a “sport” USB-C charging cable? Am I going to be hiking while charging from my wall outlet? Does it double as a jump rope?
You can use it as a whip for lion taming, or for free-climbing Half Dome. :D

BlairMALL

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2002
Chesapeake, VA
What does this mean "With this feature, you can get up to 50 percent charge in under 30 minutes on modern iPhones." I am pretty sure all mobile, smartphones are "Modern." Please don't think I am just being nitpicky. Literally, my first thought was whether this would work with my iPhone 11. I consider it relatively "modern," but wondered whether this was a feature for even newer phones, like the 12 or 13.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I tend to stick with Anker for my charging stuff, but these look nice.

I'm the same way with Anker... but the cyber-Monday deals were really good from U-Green... so I'm trying a few of their things. We'll see how it goes.

Nomad is good too though - and this one looks nice for $30.

Reactions: AirunJae

boss.king

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2009
What does this mean "With this feature, you can get up to 50 percent charge in under 30 minutes on modern iPhones." I am pretty sure all mobile, smartphones are "Modern." Please don't think I am just being nitpicky. Literally, my first thought was whether this would work with my iPhone 11. I consider it relatively "modern," but wondered whether this was a feature for even newer phones, like the 12 or 13.
I'm pretty sure even the X could charge faster when given more juice, although I'm not sure whether it could technically use all the power provided to hit 50% in <30 mins.

Reactions: BlairMALL

jaytv111

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
It's based on Apple's official fast charging documentation: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208137

So it's iPhone 8 and later (X being concurrent with the 8). Earlier iPhones did not have USB-C Power Delivery so they could only rely on iPad-style chargers giving them up to 12 watts but weren't rated to charge 50 percent in 30 minutes.

Reactions: BlairMALL

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Anker is not comparable to (insert random Chinese brand). Anker is MFi certified and even Apple uses Anker products in the field

BlairMALL

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2002
Chesapeake, VA
It's based on Apple's official fast charging documentation: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208137

So it's iPhone 8 and later (X being concurrent with the 8). Earlier iPhones did not have USB-C Power Delivery so they could only rely on iPad-style chargers giving them up to 12 watts but weren't rated to charge 50 percent in 30 minutes.
Thanks, jaytv111! This makes sense, and I appreciate the clarification.

bviktor

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2019
EU plug when?

"- Does 30W USB-C Power Adapter come with international adapters?
- No, it does not. But it is electrically compatible with international mains electricity so can safely be plugged into adapters."

Cool, but that kinda defeats the purpose of a SMALL charger, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Reactions: BenGieCruz

Reason077

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2007
Can iPhones charge at 30W? I thought it maxed out at 20?

At 30W it should make a pretty good charger for the MacBook Air and lower-end MacBook Pros?

Heck, I often charge my Air on my Apple 20W iPhone charger. Works great and so compact!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.