Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nomad today announced the launch of an updated Battery Cable, which comes equipped with a slim 2,800 mAh battery to add a bit of extra juice to Apple's iPhones and iPads.

The Battery Cable looks like a standard braided Nomad Lightning cable for the iPhone, but with the addition of a battery pack at one end that can be used for extra charging power when necessary.

nomadbatterycable-800x453.jpg

Nomad's 1.5M Battery Cable includes an integrated Nomad cable tie and support for passthrough charging, so you can charge up the battery while you charge your iPhone. Having the battery pack integrated into the cable is convenient because it ensures the battery is always full when you need it.

Compared to the original version of the Battery Cable, the new model has a higher capacity and a sturdier aluminum build.

Nomad's Battery Cable can be purchased from the Nomad website for $49.95 starting today.

Article Link: Nomad Launches New 2,800mAh Battery Cable for iPhone

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
I literally don’t understand the rationale for this product.

A portable power pack (one of eleventy billion out there) whose USP is it’s built into a mains charging cable, which you plug into the wall socket?

Wow. Who on earth wants a PPP in the form factor of a yet another messy cable uncomfortably tangled up in your pocket or bag.

$50 too. Literally extracting the urine.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
This isn't even going to be enough for one full charge of an iPhone. Typically less than 80% of the battery's capacity is passed on to the phone. I don't know why anyone would want this.

Reactions: jeblis

ilpap

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
Interesting as now one can only carry around one item instead of two.
Why no usb c though?
I find myself quick charging up to 50-60% and then I have to move again. The cable could finish the job in my bag.

Jamnabot

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2005
UK
I absolutely see the worth of small, ultra portable battery packs - even if they don't provide a full charge - because they're only intended to top-up a phone and keep you going while you're out and take up no space in your pocket.

What I don't see the worth of is this thing being $50! Anker, a brand anyone who uses power banks should be aware of, sells lipstick-sized banks which offer 3000+mAH of charge for only $16. So it's cheaper AND larger capacity!

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
I actually find it interesting. For $20 more than an official Lightning cable you get a braided cable that can save you in a pinch.

Nice cable to charge the phone in the car I think. Would get it with a little incentive, like a sale or something.

My only worry is how fast that battery can lose health.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
I’ll never forget how back when Nomad started, they used a portion of their early backer’s money to provide products to major retailers such as Best Buy before providing the product as promised to backers.

No thanks Nomad. I don’t support shady practices. I’ll take my money elsewhere...

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Basicly a 18650 battery in plastic casing and a cheap chip to make it work.

For that money they could put in a genuine 3500 mAh Panasonic.
It's beyond me why manufacturers still skimp on 18650 capacity cells, just an example, most battery packs for drills amongst other tools still use the 2000 mAh battery packs, if you want the higher capacity they almost never have them but if they do they charge you >€50 extra for it while the real cost is just a few Euro's more.

ilpap

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
When traveling you even need to bring three items, as most power banks need a micro USB cable to charge.

I think this is a very clever Idea, just too expensive.

Agreed, so to avoid that I got a (rather pricey) quite slim power bank that has its own (detachable) small cable.

But with this I could skip the power bank completely, and it has enough battery to give that extra power until the next socket is available at an airport or back at home/hotel.

Reactions: lars666

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Basicly a 18650 battery in plastic casing and a cheap chip to make it work.

For $50, no less. I should get into product design. Seems there’s money to be made. You can get a 3000mAh 18650 battery for £4 and that’s retail.
[doublepost=1528816424][/doublepost]
For that money they could put in a genuine 3500 mAh Panasonic.
It's beyond me why manufacturers still skimp on 18650 capacity cells, just an example, most battery packs for drills amongst other tools still use the 2000 mAh battery packs, if you want the higher capacity they almost never have them but if they do they charge you >€50 extra for it while the real cost is just a few Euro's more.

Well I guess that’s what Apple does when it comes to greater capacity phones.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
how much do you guys get paid for posts like these? :)

other outlets like the verge put "sponsored" when a brand pays this for this kind of coverage

Reactions: jeblis

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Except it isn't, it's a Powerbank with an attached cable instead of a Powerbank and cable detached.
Most powerbanks also have way shorter cables cause you don't really need a long cable.
With a traditional power bank, I need to bring it, (in most cases) a micro USB cable to charge it, and a lightning cable to go from it to the phone. Or, I can just have this in my bag. There is some usefulness and ingenuity in this, in my opinion and for my use case.

Reactions: ignatius345
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.