Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nomad today announced the launch of the Base Station Mini, a new single-device charging option that's designed to power an iPhone, AirPods, or other Qi-enabled device.

nomad-base-station-mini.jpg

Designed to take up little space, Nomad says that the Base Station Mini is ideal for a night stand or desk. It's square shaped and not too much bigger than the AirPods, so it's useful for those who want a simple, space-saving charger.

This is not a MagSafe charger and when charging an iPhone, it is limited to 7.5W, though it can charge Android devices faster than that. It comes with a 2-meter USB-C cable, but does not ship with a power adapter. Like other Nomad Base Stations, the mini features a padded black leather surface and a zinc frame.

Separately, Nomad is also selling a new 20W USB-C power adapter that's ideal for use with the Base Station Mini or for other devices, including Apple's MagSafe Charger.

nomad-power-adapter.jpg

The Base Station Mini is priced at $60 and the 20W USB-C Power Adapter is priced at $19. Both products can be purchased from the Nomad website starting today.

Article Link: Nomad Launches New Base Station Mini

Last edited:

jamesthegator

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2009
Looks great - I wish my iPhone 12 Pro would consistently charge on 3rd party wireless chargers so I could go back to using nice 3rd party chargers again. Until then I am stuck plugging in, unfortunately.

ice29

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Switzerland
What is the difference between this and a cheap wooden small/thin USB-C Qi charger from Aliexpress? (that I am using every night to charge iPhone 12 Pro and Airpods Pro during the day, without any issues at all...)
60$, really?

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
It can only charge one device at a time.
It's has a measly 7.5w charging capability.
Yet it's $60.
Charger is an extra $19 bucks.
Better price options from Belkin, Ravepower and Anker with roughly similar size.
I can understand the Mad in Nomad.

BGM

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
Amsterdam
please note, that the base station pro will only charge some very specific Qi devices, and not my Jabra earbuds for example... even though they are 100% Qi compatible... it wasn't clear in the marketing when buying, but it's still very good for iPhones, AirPods, etc.

What is the difference between this and a cheap wooden small/thin USB-C Qi charger from Aliexpress? (that I am using every night to charge iPhone 12 Pro and Airpods Pro during the day, without any issues at all...)
60$, really?
i assume it's the FreePower tech that makes the difference,, which means you can basically chuck a device on there and it charges.. rather than having to line it up with the coils perfectly

Reactions: DaneLA

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Looks great - I wish my iPhone 12 Pro would consistently charge on 3rd party wireless chargers so I could go back to using nice 3rd party chargers again. Until then I am stuck plugging in, unfortunately.

I bought a nice-looking 3rd-party charger off of Amazon for $35, and it worked good until an iOS software update and then it no longer charges my XR. Not sure if the software update was the cause.

Then bought an $11 charger (down from $22) at Canadian Tire and it works *perfect* so I went back and bought 2 more. Bluehive brand.

So the phone may not be at fault. 3rd-Party chargers could just vary greatly in adhering to the Qi specifications. Have you tried different brands?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I have the nomad wireless charger with the built in Apple Watch charger. While it looks really nice, I cannot tell you how many times my phone did not charge because I didn't lay it just right. It's expensive for what it does.

I'd rather just get a MagSafe charger for multiple other reasons.

robn97

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2021
Queens, NY
I have always loved nomad's products, while the prices might be high and overpriced with some of the products. they have decent customer service, and the products themselves are quality and I would expect it to be the same for this one. I might pick it up, but there are other options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.