non-4k display: 27" vs 30" - worth the price?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MRrainer, Dec 3, 2014.

1. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a new display for a maxed-out 2012 i7 Mini (2.3 GHz).

I don't do much photo-editing, no video and obviously no gaming.

At times, I do some VMs and have a lot of terminal-windows open (I'm a unix sysadmin). I may need to write documentation, draw-up stuff in OmniGraffle...

So, the question boils down to: are the additional 160 pixels worth the price?

I would love to hear from people who have used both.

Actual models I'm considering:
    - Dell U3014
    - HP z30i (if I get a decent discount via $work)
    - HP z27i (dito)
    - ViewSonic VP2770 LED
    - Dell U2713H (apparently same LG display as below, as per PRAD.de review) - is this the "best" of the U27xx displays? They have far too many models for my taste...
    - NEC PA272 (expensive, but I have a penchant for good displays and the price is still OK-ish, compared to their Spectra-View offerings which I really don't need anyway)
    - maybe just be cheap (after all, it's mostly text what I'm after) and get one of the cheap 2560x1440 offerings from AOC, ASUS, Benq or Phillips? They're essentially between a third and a half of the price of the above NEC.
    - NEC's PA302 looks nice - but price-wise it's most likely beyond what I can "sell" my GF....(cough...cough)

I really want a solid display that is easy on the eyes and good for text-work.
    I do watch movies on my Mac, but I could live with sub-par performance on that front.
    At work, I have dual HP ZR24 with Linux, which is OK, but I feel I could make more of a single large display (Eizo's new 24" screen with the 1mm bezel also looks interesting - the bezel of the ZR24s is far too big for my taste)

I live in a country with relatively "weak" consumer-rights.
    If I'd order e.g. a cheap Benq GW2765HT (which is basically a 3rd of the price of the 27" NEC) and it would suffer extreme backlight-bleeding, this alone would not be a reason to return it. I could maybe return it (on my own cost), but the most I would get is a voucher for the value (minus a restocking fee, because I opened the box...).

I've always spent more money on displays than anybody else in my surrounding. It paid-off in the CRT days and I feel it should still pay-off these days.
    Even though I don't plan to spend that much time in front of it - after all, I work full days in the office...

2. mjohnson1212 macrumors member

I own a PA272W and use it for coding and love it. The KVM functionality works great and I use that every day.

I don't miss the 30" displays as they were a good deal more money at the time I purchased and most of the 30" panels weren't as good as the 27" ones.

My 2cents... Good luck.

3. MRrainer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Do you calibrate the display?
    From what I read on a pro-photographers' forum, these displays are factory-calibrated with equipment much, much more precise and expensive than e.g. a i1 display pro.
    I do admit I don't want to spend the 200-something dollar-equivalent (or whatever an i1 goes for) if I don't really need it anyway.