iPad non-activated SIM status message

philMBP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
If I put in a non activated SIM, what will it display in the status bar area? Will it say "no service"?

I am not going to get a data plan for my iPad. However I would like to get rid of the "No SIM" message in status bar and at startup.

Anyone try this?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
a deactivated SIM card will say "No Service" after "Searching..." fails.
having no SIM at all will say "No SIM"

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have a cellular iPad without a data plan, and it just says "iPad" at the top. I just kept the old SIM in it when I cancelled the data service.

Oh, and I have Cellular Data turned "off" in Settings.

Last edited:

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I have a cellular iPad without a data plan, and it just says "iPad" at the top. I just kept the old SIM in it when I cancelled the data service.

Oh, and I have Cellular Data turned "off" in Settings.
if you turn cell data on, it should say "No Service".

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Forgot to ask... so it won't display the SIM carrier name?
it should just say no service. it gets carrier alpha tag info from the tower. if theres no connection to the tower to get that info, it wont be displayed. however, under the about screen in settings, it will read the carrier info there since it recognizes the SIM carrier. but what appears on the screen itself only displays current connection info.

for example, i put an old deactivated att sim card in my verizon iphone 5. the screen said "Searching" for a few minutes and eventually changed to "No Service". in the about screen, the carrier info changed from Verizon to At&t though.