Non apple brand USB3 to Eithernet adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by irishgrizzly, Jul 14, 2017.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Should this work on a late 2013 MacBook Pro ok? Or is it better to get the official thunderbolt version(speed wise)?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

It will probably require its own driver.
    That's not a problem -- so long as you have the right driver.
    Make sure the one you buy is advertised as being "Mac compatible".
    If possible, go to amazon and read the reviews, pay attention to those from Mac users.

3. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Thanks, the guy I rang at the store said it's Mac compatible - but I wanted to double check.

4. jerryk macrumors 68020

I assume your 2013 rMBP is similar to my 2015 rMBP. For this unit I prefer the Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter from Apple. It seem to work better (full gigabit to and from my NAS) than my USB3 to Ethernet adapter, and runs cooler, but still gets kind of warm.

5. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

I have used the Plugable USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter, and it does require a driver. I also own the Apple thunderbolt adapter. There is no noticeable difference in speed when copying files across the home gigabit network. I finally abandoned the Plugable device simply because I often need both USB ports on my MBP. The thunderbolt adapter is recognized right away during an install, too.

6. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I would recommend the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adaptor because the drives are built-in to macOS.

7. Mike Richardson macrumors newbie

Mike Richardson

The circle effect on my avatar is non-consensual
  8. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

9. Valdna macrumors newbie

Valdna

Lenovo's USB3 to 1Gbps ethernet adapter works straight out of the box

10. waw74 macrumors 68030

the one i have is a USB 3 hub with gigabit ethernet from iclever, i don't think it's made anymore.

i have much better luck with the USB adapter over the thunderbolt
    with the thunderbolt, i normally have to unplug and replug at least once, either the thunderbolt side or the ethernet side sometimes both.

and a bonus with the USB version, if you use parallels, you can hook the ethernet port directly to windows, and not have to deal withe shared/bridged networking in parallels
    i have software that i need for work that's windows only, and this has simplified that process greatly.

not to mention for work i use a 13" air, so i only have one thunderbolt, the USB lets me hook up an external monitor and used wired ethernet at the same time.

It's been a while since i got it, i think mac recongnized it, but i had to install drivers for windows. Maybe the other way around, but one did recognize it and one didnt'