Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toaster_oven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
not sure
hi-

i'm seriously thinking about getting a G5 tower in the near future... but the only thing holding me back is the cost of the display. while i would eventually like to have a matching apple dispay with my tower, in the meantime i would like to know the best non-apple display for the money.

i've looked on macwarehouse and clubmac, but i don't know enough to make an informed decision.... I read something somewhere about ADC (apple) and DVI (everyone else - i think there are two kinds of DVI) connectors - what do i need to know about this? oh- any advice on graphics cards?

i'm looking for a 19" for under $600 - the lower the price the better.

also- i came across a 19" monitor at http://www.formac.com. does anyone know anything about this company?

some sites recommend samsung... any thoughts?

thanks!

ps- i have a stupid question - will a non-apple display void the computer's warrenty in any way?

-TO

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
You can get a 20" wide screen Dell 2005FPW for $600 (or less) with coupons in the US (lucky bastards!), you won't find anything better for the money. I has DVI (so will work with a G5), VGA, S-Video, and analogue inputs.

No, using a 3rd parrty monitor will not in any way void Apple warrenty.

SpliceDWDM0

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2004
Ontario, Canada
What do I need to connect-up my Sony CPD-G520P

Hi There,

I'm going to be purchasing a MAC (G5) in early 2005, but was wondering what hardware I'd need to hook-up my Sony CPD-G520P (typical DB-15 VGA connector).

Thanx!

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
^ im not 100% sure about the G5's connections, but im sure it can take a typical VGA Monitor input. if not, you can get a DVI-to-VGA Adaptor from apple.

Chmeeee

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
Boston, MA
I second the Dell 2005fpw recommendation. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and its amazing. I believe its the same panel as the Apple 20" anyways, and I was able to pick it up for $450. That price isn't so obtainable without a special American Express coupon, but you can get it for around $550 with coupons (see the hot deals forum at http://www.fatwallet.com). The price varies wildly, from day to day as coupons expire and new ones are put out, so give it a week or so if you don't see a good price.

Specs:
Resolution: 1680x1050
Response: 16ms
Contrast: 600:1

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
I have heard good things about those Dell monitors.

I have a Samsung 191T and it is amazing. I have had it for about a year now. There is a newer version out now the 191T+ (not sure whats different). But the monitor has a DVI, VGA, Landscape/Portrait swivel. Very wide viewing angle and 25ms refresh. So i give it a thumbs up. It replaced my Viewsonic 19" CRT (e90fb)

The formac monitors are another great device. The webmaster i work with (who currenlty uses the 30" apple monitor at work) owns one and swears by it.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
ADC and DVI are too different kinds of video connectors. The first stands for Apple Display Connector. Apple finally got rid of this proprietary standard, and they don't use it on G5s so you don't need to worry about it. Its only benefit was that you only needed one cord... No power cord. You would just plug the monitor right into the back of the computer and that was it. In any case, you don't need to worry about ADC because Apple no longer uses it.

The second is the interface that Apple's G5s and Powerbooks use, and their Cinema displays do too. DVI stands for digital video interface. This is a video only connection. You plug it into the graphics card, but you also need to plug it into the wall for power. This is the de facto standard in the PC world, and it is great that Apple adapted it. What this means is that you can use ANY PC display you like, as long as it is DVI. Most new LCDs are... You might just want to make a google search to find which monitor is actually the best.

I was more interested in explaining to you the two different technologies... I'm not sure which monitor is actually good, but I know the Dells are a BARGAIN for what you get and Samsung / Viewsonic ones have gotten good reviews recently. Hope that helps!

-Kevin

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
I can third the Dell (I think we are at 3) however I personally recommend the 2001 (non-widescreen) simply because the 2001 seems nicer for dual usage. If you ever plan to have dual monitors, I would highly suggest the 2001.

I have two friends (both bass-terds to me :p) because one has dual 2001.s and the other has dual 2005.s. Side-by-side the 2001s just look more natural and in my opinion much better. Also, I like the native 1600x1200 resolution of the 2001 vs. the 1680x1050.

Either way, the panels themselves seem to be of very high quality (I have a 2001 and it is gorgeous), so I am sure you will be happy with whichever you choose (if you so choose).

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
spaceballl said:
ADC and DVI are too different kinds of video connectors. The first stands for Apple Display Connector. Apple finally got rid of this proprietary standard, and they don't use it on G5s so you don't need to worry about it. Its only benefit was that you only needed one cord... No power cord. You would just plug the monitor right into the back of the computer and that was it. In any case, you don't need to worry about ADC because Apple no longer uses it.

I guess you haven't seen a current Power Mac G5. All Power Mac G5s still ship with 1 ADC and 1 DVI, except for those with the nVidia 6800 GT or Ultra, which have dual dual-link DVI. Even the stock-configured (top of the line) dual 2.5GHz Power Mac G5 has an ADC connector on its Radeon 9600XT. http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

Anyhow you can get dual-DVI on any Power Mac (short of buying the $500 / $600 nVidia 6800 GT / Ultra) if you buy a $40 ADC - DVI adapter (not to be confused with the DVI - ADC adapter).

advres

Oct 3, 2003
Boston
I've had a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 955DF for years. I love it. If you need space I would go with a LCD but if accurate colors and price is an option, I would go with a CRT. I have 19" CRT's hooked up to my G5 at work. All you need is to buy 1 additional adapter. You could buy 2 19" monitors for well under $600.

just my $0.02

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Rod Rod said:
I guess you haven't seen a current Power Mac G5. All Power Mac G5s still ship with 1 ADC and 1 DVI, except for those with the nVidia 6800 GT or Ultra, which have dual dual-link DVI.
I've seen them. That's like PCs coming w/ PS2 ports for mice... They use USB, but they keep PS2 there for legacy. The ADC support is there so people who have 23" old displays w/ ADC connectors don't have to throw their investment out the window.
-Kevin

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
spaceballl said:
I've seen them. That's like PCs coming w/ PS2 ports for mice... They use USB, but they keep PS2 there for legacy. The ADC support is there so people who have 23" old displays w/ ADC connectors don't have to throw their investment out the window.

spaceballl said:
Apple finally got rid of this proprietary standard, and they don't use it on G5s so you don't need to worry about it.

I'm glad you made up your mind, because either Apple "finally got rid of" ADC and "they don't use it on G5s," or ADC is still on G5s.

The PS/2 comparison isn't especially strong either. I've used PCs which don't recognize USB mice, and only allow a mouse to work when you attach the USB to PS/2 adapter. That's with all the drivers properly installed, and even after going through the Windows new hardware wizard.

Anyway, for resolutions up to 1920x1200, ADC is great and has the advantages over regular DVI which you mentioned. Only beyond that do you need dual link DVI.

A lot of new users would probably appreciate the benefits of ADC. I agree with you that the move to DVI is a good one, but ADC is great for what it is.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I had ordered the Dell 2005FPW, but got the 2001FP in is place. Can't say that I am disappointed (Dell gave me a total of $50 to keep their mistake - it allowed me to do an external HDD). The only thing I noticed is that i had to go and set the color preferences to the Windows gamut.

MacNeXT

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2004
Chmeeee said:
I second the Dell 2005fpw recommendation. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and its amazing. I believe its the same panel as the Apple 20" anyways, ...

Do you mean the actual LCD panel inside is the same? Are there any other displays known that use the same panel as Apple uses in their screens?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
MacNeXT said:
Do you mean the actual LCD panel inside is the same? Are there any other displays known that use the same panel as Apple uses in their screens?

There had been a post on MR that some one stated that the panels were the same. Do a search for more details.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
The 2001 panel is made by LG, so by gross assumption I figured the 2005 would be as well. Based on the resolution (is it the exact same as the Apple 20"??) I guess it makes sense that it is made by Apple, or whomever makes the panels for Apple :p

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Chmeeee said:
I second the Dell 2005fpw recommendation. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and its amazing. I believe its the same panel as the Apple 20" anyways

I believe that is not true; or, if it is true, Apple is doing something else with the display to make a difference in the image quality. Reading the LCD reader reports pages on Macintouch, a few readers told of their experiences setting the Dell and Apple displays side-by-side. They generally said that the Dell looks very nice on its own, but it pales in comparison to the Apple displays when compared head-to-head. The same observations applied to people who owned both Apple's 23" Cinema Display and other 23" widescreens like HP's and Sony's current offerings.

I would get the Dell for general use/office work, but I would stick with the Apple displays for color-critical tasks. For retouching Photoshop files all day, I might still opt for a top-end CRT, though a properly calibrated ACD would be fully up to the task as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.