non apple displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacBH928, Dec 8, 2008.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

hello

I have never bought a laptop bceause i hate the tiny screen, and given high prices of mac's i finally decided to buy the lowest model of macbooks...

here is the problem, i will have to buy external display for serious work when it comes up. yet apple displays are too damn expensive, and other brands like samsung and dell sell 20 inch displays for like $400 or less. I am wondering which displays best matches the mac experience, and is it any trouble using these LCD screen to watch stuff like HD video and gaming, and does os x works well with them. Give a recommendation

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

pretty much any display will work.
    You have to get an adapter. depends on which model you have, and what kind of inputs the monitor has, as to which one you need.

if it's the newest model of macbook, you'll need a Mini DisplayPort to vga or dvi. Click here
    if you want to drive a monitor above 1920x1200, you'll nead the dual link adapter- probably won't need this since you mentioned a 20" monitor

if its an older one, a mini-dvi to dvi or vga. (dual link not supported on these versions of macbook)

all of which are available from apple, and run from $20 to $30. execpt the dual link is $100.

macs work great with a second monitor, you can either set it up to be the only monitor, or use it as a second display to extend your desktop.

3. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

thanx a lot on the tips
    i am buying the current lowest option macbooks(i think they dont have firewire)

how much output resolution do they output? i dont htink they get up to 1900

any how, i am looking specifically for displays that work well with mac. I know like all of them will work, but when you are using apple product you can depend on quality, when its another brand you are not sure, and i dont have background knowledge in that area.

i am afraid the display is too sharp, dies quickly, or have bad colors, mac screens have soft display to them i guess

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Are you talking about the aluminum MacBook or the plastic MacBook?

The former outputs to 2560x1600. The latter outputs to 1920x1200.

In other words, aluminum does 30", plastic does up to 29" (1920x1200 is used in displays from 24 to 29 inches. It is worthless to buy any size larger than 24" unless you're buying a 30").

5. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

Well i've got iBook G4 and i use my Samsung Syncmaster 19'' monitor with it and it works great! My monitor cost me only $200 :D