non-Apple emails being pulled into iCloud / Mac Mail - mystery

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by marcht, Jul 31, 2014.

1. marcht macrumors newbie

My wife has an iCloud account and this is her main email address.

When she first set it up (2 years ago?), she already had an email address which we wanted to

continue to use.

I am a Gmail user and I assumed that we would be able to add her old email account to the new iCloud

account - as we do in Gmail. However, that cannot be done in the same way - as we all know.

Somewhere online I found away to do it. I am certain of this because there are many emails in her

iCloud inbox (and on Mac Mail) which have been sent to her old email address.

I now need to stop the emails on the old address from being pulled in to the iCloud inbox - and I cannot remember what I did to make it happen! I know if took me a long time to find a way to do it. Probably a workaround of some sort.

I'm feeling foolish but can anyone help?

I have checked the following:

1. The old account is NOT set up to forward email to the iCloud account. This is the obvious answer but I have checked it via the ISP's online interface. No forwarding, no rules.

2. iCloud>Settings>Accounts does not show the old address - because you cannot add a non-Apple address in here

3. Manage Apple Id site does not help for same reason.

What else could I have done that leads to non-Apple emails being pulled into an iCloud inbox?!?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

You might have connected them via some sort of third party method. 3PM checks the Gmail account, then forwards it to the iCloud account. Looking at the email headers may give you a clue.

If it is a 3rd party method, changing the Gmail password should cut that off right away.

The Gmail account isn't a Google Apps one, is it?

3. marcht, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014

marcht thread starter macrumors newbie

Brian - Thank for taking the time to reply to a problem of my own making

The annoying email account isn't in fact a Gmail one (though we had previously used Gmail to aggregate mail accounts).

However, the logic of changing the password on the problem account should still be worth a go, to try and break a forwarding 3PM. Thanks so much for that.

Below is the bounce-back response to my latest test. Note (at bottom) that I sent it ONLY to axxxx@turnbull.co.za but somehow axxxx.turnbull@icloud.com (the 'final recipient') gets involved in the process. It then runs into some sort of ISP server block which is what generates the bounce-back.

Cheers from sunny South Africa.

The mail system

<axxxx.turnbull@me.com>: host mx2.mail.icloud.com[17.172.34.xxx] said: 550 5.7.xxx
    Blocked - see
    https://support.proofpoint.com/dnsbl-lookup.cgi?ip=196.201.6.xxx:
    axxxx.turnbull@me.com (in reply to RCPT TO command)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; axxxx.turnbull@me.com
    Action: failed
    Remote-MTA: dns; mx2.mail.icloud.com
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.xxx Blocked - see
    https://support.proofpoint.com/dnsbl-lookup.cgi?ip=196.201.6.xxx:
    axxxx.turnbull@me.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    To: axxx Turnbull <axxxx@turnbull.co.za>
    Cc:
    Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 14:48:43 +0200

4. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

1) I would suggest that you edit your second post to mask the live email address & IP Addresses.

2) That looks as if the xxx.co.za mail server is doing the forwarding. No idea what mail system is in use there - so no way to help you remove the forwarding. Pretty sure it is not 3rd party though.

3) You may be able to see more headers, and see more detail of where the forwarding occurs by doing the following in mail.app: View:Message:All Headers