Non-Apple headphones and receiving calls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VforVelveta, Jul 23, 2008.

1. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

I have a pair of Shure headphones that I use with my iPhone and I'm wondering if the following is normal behavior. When receiving a call, the music fades out as normal and I hit answer on the iPhone. With the Apple headphones, the sound goes to the headphones and voice is picked up via the mic on the headphones, as expected. However, the Shure headphones obviously don't have a microphone on them, so I had assumed that when I got a call the sound would still come through the headphones and the built in microphone on the actual iPhone would be used, but every time I've gotten a call I've had to unplug the headphones before anyone could hear me. Is this normal, or am I just doing something wrong?

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'm using my Razor headphones the same way and they work fine.

My guess is the Shure headphones are making contact with the mic connectors in the headphone jack. This fools the phone into thinking that a headphone w/ mic built in is connected and it mutes the mic.

Compare the tip of your Shure headphones w/ another pair you know work.

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

5. sibruk macrumors 6502a

I have the Shure headphones, and the adapter that Cynicalone has just posted. They work really well, and will restore the behaviour you get with the Apple headphones. Can thoroughly recommend the adapter, comes with a little clip as well which is particularly useful for routing the cable just right!

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

7. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

That little clip is one of my favorite parts of the adaptor, I wish they would incorporate that into all their headphones.

Sorry for the double post and posting a link to a PC site. *runs and hides*

8. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Just to add, the Shure adapter can also be used with any other standard 3.5mm TRS stereo headphones as well - so it could also be useful to others without the Shures.

9. VforVelveta thread starter macrumors regular

VforVelveta

It looks nice, but I have a couple of reservations about it. First, the extra length of wire. I know there's a clip, but even then you'll have an extra loop of wire hanging there that I'd hate to get caught on something, especially since it's attached to both a nice pair of headphones and a really nice phone. The other thing is the price. I mean, $40 is a lot for an adaptor I think. Still considering it, but the other thing, does the button on the microphone work for the other functions the Apple headphones do, i.e. skipping/pausing tracks and the like?

10. sibruk macrumors 6502a

It's actually about 15cm shorter than the regular Shure extension cable that comes with the headphones, so you shouldn't have a problem there.

Yes, the button on the adapter does pause/play/advance - it's exactly the same as the Apple headphones.

I'm sure you could get it for less than $40 if you did a bit of searching around. ;)