Non-Apple Laptop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vorbb, Aug 25, 2010.

1. vorbb macrumors member

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new laptop, but I don't want to run OS X; I'll be dual booting Seven and Ubuntu.

Basically, I want an "Apple-esque" laptop. Which companies/models should I be looking at that could replicate my version of "the Apple experience":

a) excellent build quality
    b) esthetically pleasing (read: thin and not overstyled a la most HP consumer laptops with swirls and crap on the lid)
    c) features

In a perfect world, it would be cheaper then a Macbook (although I am more then willing to pay a premium for a great looking and performing laptop) and have a user-removable battery.

Any ideas? Or is buying a fifteen inch Macbook and just running Windows and Ubuntu my best option?

If anyone recommends Alienware or that type of machine, you've missed the point of this thread, sorry.

2. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

If you have the money, get the Macbook. If not, look at the HP Envy.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, why ask this in a Mac forum instead of a Windows or Ubuntu forum? Second, you want an "Apple-esque" laptop with the "the Apple experience", but you don't want to run OS X? It sounds like you need to buy a Mac.

4. vorbb thread starter macrumors member

The Apple Hardware experience, rather.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you want the "Apple hardware experience", buy a Mac.

6. vorbb thread starter macrumors member

I have an iMac, but maybe if you tell me to again one more time, I'll reconsider.

Envy looks amazing, thanks!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

OK, if you insist! If you want the "Apple hardware experience", buy a Mac. :D

8. seb-opp macrumors 6502

Sony laptops are probably the most stylish of Windows based laptops. Try them!

Personally I think the HP Envy just looks like a cheap chinese knock off of a mac. Maybe it was called Envy because HP are envious of Apples design department??

Tbh you came to the wrong place to ask this question, I reckon only a handful of people on here could point you to a specific non apple laptop, where as the majority could only point you to a well known brand. You should ask on a windows forum because they could help you better, as there's so many manufacturers out there, there could be a small one making stylish laptops.

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Get a MacBook Pro. Get rid of OS X, install Seven and Ubuntu.

10. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

HP Envy is your closest bet to 'Apple Hardware' but if you spend big money then Sony and even expensive Dells are pretty good in terms of hardware, certainly with more "features" on them, but what they count as a feature might not be so relevant for most people (e.g. fingerprint scanners etc). Thinkpads are supposed to be pretty resilient but don't have any styling whatsoever.

11. szleski macrumors newbie

I had a chance to work a while with dell latitude and I was pleasantly surprised with build quality and esthetics of the thing.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you didn't care about the Apple look and you just want a solid machine, I'd get a Thinkpad.

13. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

^^ Seconded. Also, most Dell Latitudes. If you want more of the Apple look, then HP Envy or Sony. I've had good luck with HP myself, but most of their stuff is really cheaply built, IMHO (Envy excluded it seems).