Non-Apple remote control for MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PaperQueen, Jul 28, 2008.

1. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

I’m about to pull my hair out.

As a professional speaker, I often travel with my MBP, opting to use that with Keynote rather than frustrate myself with PowerPoint and someone else’s PC. I’ve been using the remote control that came with the laptop, but for some inexplicable reason, half the time, I find my slides have jumped several slides ahead...or worse, all the way to the end. It’s as if the remote goes into hyperdrive when I touch the buttons.

Of course, I look like an idiot in front of the audience when it happens.

I’ve pretty much concluded this is a result of the tiny round button being too sensitive, and am willing to buy a third party remote to resolve the problem. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks in advance, folks. Much appreciated!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

Have you tried remote buddy?
    It will let you remap the keys. might help with the jumping.
    It also has a remote that runs via HTTP, so if you have an iphone/ipod touch. you can set up a wi-fi connection between the phone and your laptop and use it as a remote. You don't get the benefit of a hard button so it might be a bit harder to find, unless the phone is sitting on the podium in front of you.

it comes with a free 30 day trial

http://www.iospirit.com/index.php?mode=view&obj_type=infogroup&obj_id=24&sid=7524733Gd6f20de4dd411010

3. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

You could use Remote Buddy software along with a Wii Remote connected through bluetooth.

5. PaperQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

I don’t think that will help, since the < and > keys are already on opposite sides of the remote. My guess is it’s either too (blasted) sensitive, or there’s something hinky going on with it.

Using my iPod Touch as a replacement would be worse, with no raised buttons to feel. Need to make the fact I’m using a remote at all as invisible as possible.

Could be, although it works fine with both my iPods and the white Apple “boom box” (can’t recall what it’s official name is).

I’m willing to buy a third party solution, as long as it works and has raised controls so I don’t have to look down each time a slide needs to change.

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

7. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I use the Targus and Kensington clickers.

I like both for different reasons.

The Kensington for simplicity. Forward, Reverese, Black-Out and Laser.
    http://us.kensington.com/html/11190.html

The Targus for functionality. All of the above but flip a switch and you have a full function joystick style mouse.
    http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=AMP02US

Both have a USB receiver that is specific to each transmitter. We actually use 2 of the Kensingtons on the same laptop for a meeting each week so that we don't have to pass the clicker around the room.

8. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

9. PaperQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

You folks ROCK. All options were good ones; decided on the Keyspan because of the long range and audio control. Definitely two pluses.

Thank you so, so, so much for helping out. Can’t imagine how much I appreciate it...and how anxious I am for the UPS man to get here with my new toy. :)