Non-Apple Router with USB HD Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by txnoob, Aug 20, 2009.

1. txnoob macrumors 6502

First, I appreciate that the AEBS is a wonderful piece of equipment. Unfortunately, it's not in my budget. And I have an aversion to buying stuff used (been burned a few times). So please don't suggest a used previous version AEBS because I don't want to go that route.

All I really need is:

-Wireless G or faster
    -at least 1 USB port that will support hard drives (file sharing)
    -At least 3 ethernet ports, 10/100 or greater.
    -must work with Apple & Windows XP/Vista machines

Are there reliable beasts that exist in a sub $100 bracket?

2. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

The D-Link DIR-655 is currently on Amazon for about $95 (you may find different prices elsewhere but hopefully not more than the $130 list price). It has 4 gig Ethernet ports, 802.11n, and a USB port for printer or HD sharing.

I've never used it, so I can't vouch for it, but I've heard people say good things about it. If this is the router I'm thinking of, however, then it's possible that some of the newer firmware versions are a bit flakier than in the past--but you can scour reviews on Amazon and NewEgg, I suppose, to see what people have to say.

However, if you really like AirPort, don't need n (or necessarily even gig), you can find a new, unused older-revision AirPort Extreme Base Station for significantly less than new (probably around the price of this D-Link). I know you have an aversion to used, but you can often find even new ones on eBay and save significantly by buying the older generation. Just something else to consider!

3. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

I should also mention that I was recently in the same situation as you. I really wanted the features of the AEBS and searched for a similar featureset at a lower price ... but I eventually just got an AEBS (the previous-generation square one) for about the price of this router.

Also, you might want to make sure the USB port can really be used for an HD; some have one just to copy configuration (e.g., with Windows Connect Now). Amazon's description for the DIR-655 says it can be used to serve an HD, but I'm not sure Newegg's does. Hmm...

4. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

The DIR-655 "shareport" does not work the way you think it does. Maybe something changed over the summer as I left my router at school however. But when I had it it only works on Windows as you need a special software to access the drive. It basically tunnels USB over Ethernet. So only 1 computer can access it at a time.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

Do you need the USB drive for Time Machine? If so, then without using unsupported workarounds you are stuck with AEBS or time Capsule. I just bought an AEBS-n gigabit router (single radio, not the new dual radio) for $100 on CraigsList. For that price it is probably as cheap (and much easier) to go with an AEBS.

6. txnoob thread starter macrumors 6502

I hadn't planned on using time machine, most likely SuperDuper. Will I have the same problem?

Was looking a the ASUS WL-520gU. It appears to have all I want for about $45. I love their PC motherboards, monitors, Laptops, and even have one of their USB wireless cards on my eMac. Always been satisfied with their quality. Wonder if it's worth it.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

The only links that I could find say that the USB port is for printers, not disks. And of course it is G, not N (I don't know if that matters much, but it would be more future-proof).

8. txnoob thread starter macrumors 6502

It appears you're right. <sigh> Do the AEBS seems to be reliable as far as longevity? I may be forced to go used. I found a few on Craigslist myself for $100 or less.

9. danny_w macrumors 601

I bought my first AEBS new around March/April of last year, and I bought another used a few weeks ago (from about the same time period). That is the only experience I have had with them. Both are working well.

10. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

You're right--I forgot that SharePort only works on Windows (although rumor has it there's a Mac version coming soon, and you can get it to work on OS X with some work already--just Google it).