Non "Apple" SSD in MBP, trim support?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pyrophor2011, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Pyrophor2011 macrumors member

Is the TRIM feature supported on SSD drives other than the official Apple ones? If it is not, has there been any word whether they will be?

Also, is there a place that sells OEM Apple parts?

Basically, I can get a really good deal on a brand new MBP but it doesnt have an SSD. I want to buy one after the fact but want TRIM support. If that feature is only supported on the official Apple SSD drives, then I need to know how I can get one.

Apple support claims no parts are sold outside of ram. However, they also said that other SSD's do not work at all and that Trim isnt supported at all till Lion.

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Alot of Apple OEM parts seem to end up on eBay, so you might have some luck there. Also, Lion's just gone GM, so the full retail version should be released within a week or so, I guess we'll soon find out whether 3rd party SSD support is included.

Knowing what Apple are like though, I wouldn't bet on it.

3. Pyrophor2011 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks.

Oh, is it true that the act of replacing the HDD voids the warranty? That was another thing the rep told me...

4. simsaladimbamba

5. Pyrophor2011 thread starter macrumors member

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Definitely doesn't void the warranty in the MBP. The iMac's probably a different story, but that's perhaps understandable.