non-Apple SSD's that work 100% for Macs & Macbooks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jalyst, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jalyst, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

jalyst macrumors regular

i.e. 3rd-party & not officially sanctioned by Apple, is there a list maintained somewhere?

Right now I'm interested in my late 09' Mac Mini & the range of current SSD's that work fine with it.
    But later I may upgrade some other Macs/Macbooks...

Thank-you.

2. leman macrumors 604

The Mac mini uses a SATA connection, which is an industry standard - therefore, any SATA SSD drive should work with it. Stick with a quality brand like Samsung and you should be fine.

3. jalyst, Feb 22, 2014

jalyst thread starter macrumors regular

4. jalyst thread starter macrumors regular

Supposedly UEFI's broken & not properly maintained/supported for anything beyond standard Sandforce fw, at least for that Mac.
    Read this entire thread... Best performing SSD out there nowadays for Mac Mini?

Also, some Macs/MacBooks from around that time use the Nv MCP79 ATA controller (SATA I & II only), supposedly it has issues negotiating down to SATA II for SATA III drives & instead drops them to SATA I, that's the case for at least one SSD I've read about so far (Sandisk Extreme).

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Get a Samsung 840 EVO and turn on trim enabler. You trim enabler with any non Apple SSD.

6. jalyst, Feb 22, 2014

Why? I don't need the "most uber" performer, it's not like it's a new machine.
    Sandisk Extreme II looks like the most interesting...
    It's near or at the top in most metrics (except or a few), but not priced like that.
    Plus it has a 5yr warranty, I'm just not sure if it'll work 100% fine on the MCP79.

7. jalyst, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014

Placed an order on Amazon for the Extreme II, be mighty annoyed if it doesn't work but there's a dearth of info anywhere.
    Called Sandisk & they can't help as their SSD experts are only available from 8am-2pm AEST, supposedly they'll call tomorrow or maybe later today.
    At least Amazon usually has a pretty generous return policy, even for us Aussies...
    When it comes to SATA III, the Extreme II's at (or very near) the top overall performance-wise, despite that price is still very decent.
    It's overkill for ~90% of usage on that machine, but that machine will be sold this year & the drive salvaged.
    The other thing that worries me is that it uses an odd form-factor, it's quite a bit smaller than standard 2.5" & even with the spacer it's loose in some Macs/MacBooks.
    But my machine's not a MacBook so it's not like it's being moved around much, if at all...

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Please review this sticky. SSD Buying Guide

Since this thread is redundant, in that its discussing the same topic, I'll be closing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.