NON Apple wired mouse

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by amirchen, Sep 18, 2016.

1. amirchen macrumors newbie

Hi All.
    What is the best NON Apple wired mouse to use with MacMini?

10x

2. zen macrumors 68000

zen

I use a Logitech gaming mouse. Avoid Razer, as their switches tend to fail rather quickly.

3. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

In my experience, Logitech and Microsoft mice have been the most durable. But I like trackballs better; and Kensington's "Expert Mouse" trackball is pretty much the best of the bunch, with a large (and therefore high-precision) ball and a fairly comfortable shape. Wired and wireless versions available. :)

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Another vote for Logitech.

But consider their wireless (NOT bluetooth) mice as well.

Excellent performers.

5. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Another thumb's up for Logitech from me.

I used the original Logitech trackball for many years. This is what passed for good ergonomics in the 90's:

[​IMG]

Logitech really won me over when one of the buttons went bad. I didn't have the receipt and I had owned it for years. I sent an email to Logitech Support anyway and they sent me a brand new one for free, not even a charge for shipping. The only thing they needed from me was proof that I had owned one, by cutting the tail off of the old one and shipping it to them.

7. bse5150 macrumors 6502

bse5150

This is what I use as well. I bought a few of them when they were on sale for $6 at Staples. They do the job.

8. Altis macrumors 68020

I prefer having a larger mouse, so the Razers fit the best to my hand.

Razer's quality can vary a lot though. The DeathAdder (popular for CS GO pros) is rock solid while the Mamba is questionable.

There's definitely a huge difference in both tracking and comfort when using a high-end mouse over a super cheap one.

Having extra buttons (back/forward, etc) can be really nice too.

9. bse5150 macrumors 6502

bse5150

Most of my computing is done on a MacBook Pro so I use the trackpad a lot. At first I hated the trackpad and used a mouse whenever possible, but I've grown to prefer the trackpad over a mouse. Weird or what?

10. Altis macrumors 68020

Not weird at all. I prefer the trackpad on the MacBook as well but only because the mouse acceleration is awful for external mice in OSX/MacOS (especially the mousewheel acceleration). You can disable it, but then it disables it for the trackpad as well... which you need it for.

Can't win 'em all ;)

11. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Macs behave well with Microsoft and Logitech mice. Some models work better than others, though.

12. kaibob macrumors regular

I used a Microsoft optical mouse for many years and it worked great, but, after upgrading to Sierra, the scroll wheel stopped working properly. I purchased a Logitech M100 mouse for $10.00 (see link in the post by Micky Do), and it works well with Sierra. It's a very simple wired mouse, but that's what I like.

13. Dreadnought, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016

Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I recently bought a Razer Blackadder. I prefer them over Logitec. It 's very fast, lag free and a whole lot better then any Apple mouse. I do miss scrolling sideways though.

However Razer used to have a control panel to adjust everything, now it's some kind of buggy app that needs to stay connected to internet... That really sucks and gives noticeble lag as my wifi is not always constant. And it screws up the settings of the Apple mouse that I use next to it. So I removed the Razer app, which you only need for first setup of the mouse (else the led lights keep on going between the 15 million colours around the mouse...) and now everything works as it should.

But you're better off asking this question in another forum, there are already a lot of these questions in the Mac Accessoiries forum. One last bit of advice: get one that feels good in the hand and doesn't have buttons on the side you might press if you never use them.

14. radus macrumors 6502

usb overdrive seams to correct the "inertia" error

upload_2016-10-27_8-46-41.png

15. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I am right with you on this one. I have used for both Mac and Windows the Kensington Expert trackball and also a couple of others they offered. I find that once one learns to use it properly, it is accurate, saves on some wear on the wrist, fingers and arm and over all, once you do really use it, you don't want to go back to a mouse. I have also used the trackball along with a tablet and stylus. The latter for art and the trackball for everything else.

16. Kaida, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

Kaida macrumors regular

Kaida

17. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    I always recommend Logitech. I haven't used an Apple mouse at home for probably about 15 years. Currently I'm using a G402. It has more buttons than you might personally need, but as a gamer I definitely appreciate it.

18. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

I am using Genius and Logitech mouses. They work great for my needs.

Could never use any of the Apple mouses (except the old ADB 2 mouse), because they weren't enough ergonomical for me).
    [​IMG]

19. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Best wired mouse for the Mac is the $2.50 Logitech wheel mouse you get from the local thrift store.
    Work forever, and cost basically nothing; plenty of vintage years to choose from.

20. for this macrumors regular

For me, it's the original Icemouse by Macally. It fits my hand nicely with dimensions similar to
    the Apple ADB Mouse II. I can use it all day long. It has been discontinued and replaced with
    the Icemouse2 which I've not tried yet.

Ive has designed many great products but all of his good looking mice feel too wide for me.
    And my hand is not small.

Logitech's mice work well and durable but I never like the look of them.

21. windowpain macrumors 6502a

I went with this one, except I splashed out on a new one!
    Cost me a whopping ¥485, or about $4.
    Have had more expensive cups of coffee.

Got fed up with changing the batteries in wireless mice, and this one does the job.
    The Amazon basics one was slightly more expensive but I went with the cheapest one I could get.

22. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

23. pmjoe macrumors 6502

24. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69