non-AT&T dataplan/internet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kga1978, Jan 26, 2009.

1. kga1978 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 1st gen. iPhone jailbroken and unlocked (originally bought in the US, but used in Europe - I just moved to the US/Boston). I was wondering whether there are any alternatives to the AT&T phone plans? I have always been using pay-as-you-go plans, but I have been unable to find plans in the USA that supports internet access on the iPhone (I used to live in the UK).

Does anybody have any suggestions? I think the AT&T iPhone plans are a tad to expensive, but I hate not having access to the internet via my phone.

Thanks very much in advance!

2. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Your only alternative is t-mobile with a unlocked phone.

3. kga1978 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm, I would like to use T-mobile, but I have read a lot of places that the iPhone can't use their internet? Any specific plan that you are thinking of?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

4. TrapOx macrumors 6502

T-Mobile works great for me but I don't have a data plan. They want $40/month for unlimited data vs AT&T's $30.

5. aerospace macrumors 6502a

You can use edge so a first gen is fine, tmobiles 3g is different and wont work.

I dont think tmobile has prepay with internet, but you can get contract $29 voice/$20 internet.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Internet data went up to $25 - but that includes 400 sms/mms so that's all good.

$29.99 for 300 minutes but for an extra $10 I believe you can get 600 min with free nights.

And the iPhone can use t-mobile's data fine. I don't even have it jailbroken (used it to unlock and activate but no Cydia or Installer). Just been using epc.tmobile.com as the apn and everything is golden.