non-booting 24" intel iMac...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iNeko, Dec 16, 2008.

1. iNeko macrumors regular

I've just picked up a 24" iMac off a friend who says it won't boot - I've managed to erase the harddrive (using a Windows XP cd of all things :confused: ) and I'm trying to boot it from the leopard install dvd, however after about 2-3 minutes of loading from the disc, the machine freezes (the gear stops spinning) and the power light comes on as though it was sleeping.

Any ideas what I can try? Thanks

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Well, when in doubt, reset the PRAM: boot while holding command+option+P+R until you hear the startup chime again. I don't know if that'll do anything in this case, but it's the tool of first resort. ;) If that doesn't work, I'd suggest trying with another install disk to make sure the one you're using isn't corrupted. It doesn't need to be a standalone Leopard disk – even disks intended for other computers will boot correctly, they will just refuse to install. It should be good enough for testing purposes, anyway.

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Try resetting the smc

Is this unit under warranty?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Being that this computer was just purchased from a friend, I would assume it would be unplugged from all power and peripherals from an extended period of time, so the SMC would already have been reset.

5. iNeko thread starter macrumors regular

It's my friend's machine, it's just here 'cause I'm a bit more technical minded when it comes to fixing things than he is. Sadly the machine is outside of warranty or it would've gone to Apple.

So far, I've tried resetting the PRAM, before I erased the disk I got into Single User Mode and ran fsck, which didn't help. I booted it in verbose and it seemed to hang on "/usr/sbin/ocspd[73]" which is a bit strange (and lead me to erasing the harddrive to give a fresh install of leopard) but it won't read the dvd (I've tried the tiger dvd that came with my macbook pro, my leopard family disc and the leopard disc my friend has) so I'm fresh out of ideas. I even tried swapping the ram out incase it had fried, but again no luck.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hmm, sounds like it's pretty definitely a hardware problem, then. I think you're going to have to bite the bullet and take it in to the shop.

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

How confident are you to pull out the ram and give the contacts a clean with a pencil eraser or isophyl alcohol

From memory the ram at the bottom of the unit, near the stand. There will be a little screw holding the cover in use the black tags to pull the sticks out.

8. iNeko thread starter macrumors regular

:) checked the ram already, it's fine. I'm going to pull the back off it tomorrow (using a disassembly guide) to clean the fans and check for visible damage - I have a feeling it's the harddrive or the superdrive as they both make unusual grinding noises

9. lucidstar macrumors newbie

do you have another mac to help with the install? if yes then put the 24" imac into target disk mode by holding down the t on start up, then using the fire wire ports plug it into the other mac and use your install disks in that mac to install os x, in the now fire wire drive 24" imac, when the install is complete and you are able to boot up then change the boot disk in os x to the original hard drive and shut down, then you can shut down the 24" imac and restart it with the fresh install on your hard drive. if the install dose not work and it still locks up, then i would try a new hard drive or a new set of os x install disks.