Non-data plan SIM in used iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xjman07, Jul 12, 2009.

1. xjman07 macrumors newbie

I have a Blackberry Curve 8310, I do not pay for the data plan because I do not use it enough. I am wondering if i were to get a used already activated iPhone I could just put the SIM card for my Blackberry in and be good to go. If I dont use the internet on the iPhone I will not be charged anything, right?

I have got many conflicting answer about this and just looking for some clarification.

2. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

This response assumes you're using AT&T as a service provider. Everything except the last paragraph would likely apply to other service providers as well.

Even if you do not have a data plan activated on your account, the iPhone will still *try* to use data, even if you don't think you're doing any data-centric things.

Unless the account has actually had data blocked (which is different from simply not having any specific data plan), or you reconfigure the iPhone so that it doesn't know how to access your service provider's APN, you'll be billed pay-per-use for such unexpected data access. This is an important and potentially expensive thing to keep in mind.

Additionally, AT&T's terms of service currently in effect (automatically agreed to by all postpaid customers if they continue to use the service after receiving notification of the revision) officially requires all subscribers to use the official iPhone unlimited data plan if they ever connect to the network using an iPhone. AT&T reserves the right to automatically add the iPhone unlimited data plan to your account if they ever detect your account connecting to the network using an iPhone.

3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I have three iPhones. One is a 3G S fully activated with a data plan on AT&T.

The other two are not officially activated and I use one pay as you go sim between them. The plan on that sim doesn't have a data plan and when I am away from home, most of the apps will work correctly because most of them require internet use to function. Data is truely blocked from being accessed with this sim so I have no worries about pay per use billing.

Your BlackBerry sim will work just like the way I mentioned above with no problems. I too at one time had a BB and I would use the sim in an iPhone. Almost immediately I got a SMS from AT&T warning me about it but I ignored it and nothing ever happened as expected.

Like with me, AT&T may send you a SMS informing you that they noticed you useing a non iPhone sim in an iPhone and to avoid extra charged, to call AT&T and change your plan to an iPhone plan. Ignore those, noone has even been charged for the correct plan in two years of the iPhone s existence.

Enjoy your iPhone!

4. krnboy503 macrumors regular

ditto. i also had a blackberry w/o a data plan and switched and got a text as well. IGNORE IT :)

5. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

That only works due to the fact you have a go-phone sim in them, it is not possible for att to add a data plan to a pre-paid phone. Go ahead stick a regular sim in it and wait a month or so, your bill will go up about 30$.

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

That has never happened to a person. I gurantee you will not find a single person and none will ever post about it because they won;t start charging you.

7. Johnnybrav0 macrumors member

The will charge you....Just search the form and web...it's been mention before...

Just think...if you could do it...wouldn't others thought of it...

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Post a link if it exists about someone being charged.