Non-Destructive Partition Manager

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
EDIT: the below didnt work,

so my question is changing,
Is there any free OS X applications that will merge one (empty) partition with my Tiger partition.

[ignore]
Is the Boot Camp beta still available for download?
Everything I found seems to goto the leopard page,

I ask because my beta says it has expired, and I want to restore my disk to a single partition.
[/ignore]

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
Thank You,

You are a lifesaver!

Now lets hope that it will let me restore it, last time it wouldn't! :mad:

Comment

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
New request, I just changed the title so I didnt have to make a new thread! :)

does anyone know of a free partition manager for HFS+ volumes, that would let me merge one empty (only contains a filesystem) partition with my tiger partition?

Thank You,

Comment

duyibo

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2009
Partition Wizard Home Edition is a free partition manager designed by MT Solution Ltd.

It supports 32/64 bit Windows Operating System including Windows XP, Vista and Windows

7. Home users can perform complicated partition operations by using this powerful but

free partition manager to manage their hard disk partition such as Resizing partitions,

Copying partitions, Create partition, Delete partition, Format partition, Convert

partition, Explore partition, Hide partition, Change drive letter, Set active partition

and Partition Recovery.

http://www.partitionwizard.com

Comment

duyibo

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2009

Partition Wizard Home Edition is a free partition manager designed by MT Solution Ltd.

It supports 32/64 bit Windows Operating System including Windows XP, Vista and Windows

7. Home users can perform complicated partition operations by using this powerful but

free partition manager to manage their hard disk partition such as Resizing partitions,

Copying partitions, Create partition, Delete partition, Format partition, Convert

partition, Explore partition, Hide partition, Change drive letter, Set active partition

and Partition Recovery.

Comment

Urusai89

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
Internet
For future reference, I have a way to merge startup disk partitions as non-destructively as possible.

All you need for this method is:
-An external HDD of sufficient size
-Carbon Copy Cloner (or a similar app)
-Firewire connection to external HDD (Optional, It just works faster. USB still works).

What to do:
-Empty the partition you wish to merge (save files, I just copy them to my desktop temporarily for this so that they remain on the startup disk.)

-Run CCC using your startup disk as the source, and the external HDD as the destination. It works surprisingly fast considering how much it has to copy. (Make sure it says it will be bootable)

-Reboot your mac, or shut down. When it turns back on, hold down the option key to select which device to boot from. The external HDD should come up. Select it.

-Once booted (it may be slower than normal if the HDD is slower), start up disk utility and partition your startup disk back to 1 partition.

-Run CCC again, but the reverse direction. Use the External as the source, and the internal HDD you just formatted as the 'destination'. Once finished, simply reboot, hold down 'option', and re-select the original startup disk.

You should boot back up with everything as it was, other than the partitions being merged into a single disk. I would then move the files I kept on my desktop to wherever I want them, then re-run CCC to have an updated bootable backup.

Just in case, make sure the external is formatted the same as the startup disk.

Comment