Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
This may have been good that Adobe did this, and Apple adopted this, among various other apps, I am now in a situation when i have edited a photo, taken with iPhone 5s camera running iOS 8, however can not upload the edited version to dropbox directly from the phone.... the original (unedited) one gets uploaded instead...

I praise "no quality loss" when reverting back to original photos, but unless all apps support this, its a problem.. Basically saying, trying to improve stuff, but all its really doing its creating additional problems.

Whats the best way ? I'm assuming i cannot upload now directly, but must transfer to mac ? or would that not work either ?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203612

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
the standard camera app... after i take the photo, i crop it. and save..

John6Plus

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Holland, MI
Why not try one of the other ones such as Adobe's?

Probably because he already edited it.

I've actually had this exact problem when importing them into iPhoto for goodness sake; I think it's been ever since the upgrade to iOS 8, I'm not sure.

I've emailed the image from my phone (and choose original quality) to get it off in its edited state. I hope this gets a little more sane when Photos for the Mac comes out. Others don't seem to have this problem with iPhoto though, so I don't know what could be wrong on my end.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
This may have been good that Adobe did this, and Apple adopted this, among various other apps, I am now in a situation when i have edited a photo, taken with iPhone 5s camera running iOS 8, however can not upload the edited version to dropbox directly from the phone.... the original (unedited) one gets uploaded instead...

I praise "no quality loss" when reverting back to original photos, but unless all apps support this, its a problem.. Basically saying, trying to improve stuff, but all its really doing its creating additional problems.

Whats the best way ? I'm assuming i cannot upload now directly, but must transfer to mac ? or would that not work either ?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203612

Complain to dropbox. They have to support it in their app.

More likely, they are making a conscious decision to help you backup the original... but being lazy without providing a choice.

e.g. Photosync that I use for sending to my PC, gives a choice, original or edited.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
I've actually had this exact problem when importing them into iPhoto for goodness sake; I think it's been ever since the upgrade to iOS 8, I'm not sure.

I've emailed the image from my phone (and choose original quality) to get it off in its edited state. I hope this gets a little more sane when Photos for the Mac comes out. Others don't seem to have this problem with iPhoto though, so I don't know what could be wrong on my end.

I noticed the same issue... Converted a photo on my 6+ To black and white using the stock photo app... Showed properly in my camera roll... But when I synced and transferred it to iPhoto, was the oroginal.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I took an HDR photo with the stock camera, went to print it and they printed the original... So I guess there's something going on on the Photos app.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
It's been this way for as long as I can remember. (many years) It used to frustrate me to edit a photo only to find out later the copy the person received was the original.

The fix here is to edit with an application outside of the photos app. When you complete your edit you save a copy to your device and send that copy. The "bad" part here is having two copies of a photo with one (the newly created edited copy) and the original both taking space. You do not get an option to revert of course on the new photo you just created but you can do as you wish with the photo and know your updates will be honored. When you use the built in application other iOS devices will recognize the edits most times but you will find PC's and other device types may not.

Something else to keep in mind that I found a while back. The photos app will reduce the file size (compression) once you edit the photo and it does this even when you use a third party application to do your edits. This only happens when you do the editing through the built in app. Using a stand alone app (Snapseed is a favorite of mine) it will retain the size/quality and create a second copy of the photo that you can share. Replace Snapseed with any application you like, it will likely give similar results.

John6Plus

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Holland, MI
It's been this way for as long as I can remember. (many years) It used to frustrate me to edit a photo only to find out later the copy the person received was the original.

I swear it used to work in iPhoto for me - retaining non-destructive iPhone edits. Other apps still had issues on a hit and miss basis. I suspect it's been a while since they cared much about iPhoto. Hopefully photos will fix that, at least eventually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.