non-destructive repartitioning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anonymust, Oct 3, 2012.

1. anonymust macrumors member

anonymust

OK ...
    So I did something stupid by creating a separate partition for my dropbox file folder (32GB).. and tried to encrypt the drive.

And I realised it stupid!.. Now I want to reconnect that 32 GB of space with my 'primary' partition...

Good news is I just reinstalled OSX mountain Lion.. So i only have about 12 GB of stuff on the OS partition.

Please do help me :)

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I assume you're asking how you can put the partitions together without actually losing data? Not sure that's possible, I'd get an external, back everything up, then repartition and throw everything back on there.

3. AirThis macrumors 6502a

So basically now you have paritition A (with system) and a smaller partition B of 32Gb? Why don't you move the data from partition B onto partition A, delete partition B, and then expand partition A to reclaim the 32Gb free space?

It seems quite simple, but maybe I'm missing something here.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is a walkthru.

Just select the 32GB partition in Disk Util then click the minus to remove it. Then grab the bottom right of the remaining partition and pull it to the bottom to make one large partition out of it, and click apply.

This will not cause you to lose data on the OS partition.

5. xAgustinx, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

xAgustinx macrumors regular

xAgustinx

It works diferent than ms windows, in osx you can Resize Partitions without problem.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5845?viewlocale=en_US

Enlarge a partition

If you have multiple partitions on a disk, and one is running out of space, you may be able to enlarge it without losing any of the files on it.

To enlarge a partition, you must delete the partition that comes after it on the disk and then move the partition’s end point into the freed space. You can’t enlarge the last partition on a disk.

All data on the deleted partition will be erased. Be sure to back up your disk’s data before you begin.

Open Disk Utility, in the Utilities folder in Launchpad.
    Select the disk that contains the partition you want to enlarge, and then click Partition.
    In the Volume Scheme list, select the partition beneath the partition you want to enlarge, and then click Delete (-).

The partition is immediately erased, leaving the space it formerly occupied available.
    Resize the partition.

You can drag the divider at the bottom of the partition in the Volume Scheme list, or you can select the partition and then enter a value in the Size field.
    If the enlarged partition doesn’t use all the space from the deleted partition, you can create new partitions in the unused space.

To create a new partition, click Add (+), select the new partition, and choose its name, format, and size.
    Click Apply.

Disk Utility enlarges the partition and creates any new partitions.