Non-EFI GeForce and OS X 10.9.1 Crashes

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by scottrichardson, Dec 25, 2013.

1. scottrichardson macrumors 6502

Hey all,

Since upgrading to 10.9.1, the following things happened:

1. Adobe Creative Cloud Apps would crash immediately after launch.
    2. Most of my other apps crash after launch, such as Preview, Transmit and others.

I managed to get Adobe CC to kinda work after a full reinstall. In fact I had to delete my user account on my mac and set up a new one.

Photoshop now no longer supports GPU acceleration. What is more annoying is that initially, Transmit and Preview WOULD open when I created this new user, but they have since stopped launching.

I have a 2009 Mac Pro, GeForce 660Ti 2GB GPU, Sonnet Tempo Pro SSD with 2 x 512GB Samsung 840 Pros in RAID 0, and 32GB RAM. I also have a GeForce GT120 installed for emergencies and a PCI 3 USB PCI Card.

I have a feeling it's the GPU based on the crash reports. You can see the crashed threads end on GeForce driver issues. Can anyone with any knowledge greater than my own provide some assistance - this is my main work machine and currently I am hampered.

Crash report from dead Transmit:

2. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Sorry to hear about your problem. Maybe for now revert back to Mountain Lion until Apple comes up with updates for Mavericks. I normally wait for 6 or more months before migrating to a new OSX. With deadlines to meet with our work, we cannot afford to have delays.

3. scottrichardson thread starter macrumors 6502

A quick update - I ended up fully reformatting.

Not only that, I ended up ditching the RAID 0 stripe of the two Samsung SSD's, and just set them up as two individual disks. One for OS, apps, iTunes media and iPhoto media. The other drive is for all my projects/work.

While I no longer have the luxury of 1040MB/sec transfers, I am already noticing the system is completely stable, rather than strangely buggy. And since I am still using the two SSDs mounted on the Sonnet Tempo Pro, I'll have to 'struggle' with ~550MB/sec transfers.

EVERY time I have ever run RAID 0, I have ended up with glitches, corrupted files and other strange behaviour - and this is going back 10+ years, albeit all with Apple's disk utility software RAID 0.

Hopefully my '09 Mac Pro can last me another 6 months until I have the pennies saved for a nMP.

Scottie