Non flash image browser/slideshow

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by guyducati, Jul 25, 2010.

1. guyducati macrumors regular

I am looking for a slide show feature on my home page, as well as a photo browser, but there is a catch. I DON'T WANT FLASH. Is there a good way to do this without flash? Please recommend a plugin/program whatever. Thanks.

Oh, BTW, I use iWeb...but I'm kinda on the fence, I want to learn how to design websites a more "professional" way, but I just don't know how to start...

2. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

Google "jquery slideshow" and you'll get many, many good options.

3. guyducati thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thank you very much...I really like the Nivo Slider that I found (http://nivo.dev7studios.com/) ...Question though, how hard is it to use JQuery? Like I said, I want to get into actual website coding, so being that I've had no experience, is this something I could do easily? Thanks.

4. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

It really isn't that hard. It'll maybe take you one full business day to play around with it, view the source of existing sites and create some examples to figure it out.

5. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

The biggest challenge is adjusting the CSS of whichever example you find, to match your intended layout, so you need to be pretty comfortable with CSS.

The javascript itself might only have a couple of variables to adjust.

6. guyducati thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks for the replies. I'll try to do this when I get some free time. However if this doesn't work, are there some non-flash easy alternatives?

7. manueld macrumors 6502

most jquery plugins will have instructions on how to use their plugin. It's fairly easy to customize. Just read through the instructions and go from there.

8. guyducati thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I think I'll just do that then.