non-flush key on new macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by create90mph, Aug 3, 2009.

1. create90mph macrumors newbie

Aug 3, 2009
    I just bought a new unibody 15" macbook pro. It is perfect except for one small thing... The delete key is not complete flush with the rest of the keyboard (it seems that one end of the key is higher than the other, looks tilted). Otherwise, the key works fine.

Is there anyway to fix this? Can the key be remounted myself? If I took it to the Apple store, would a genius be able to replace or remount the key themselves, or would the entire keyboard have to be replaced?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

Feb 8, 2008
    Is that really something you should worry about?
    Don't use the "I paid $x for this laptop, so it should be perfect!" excuse because nothing is perfect, regardless of how much you pay for it.

It likely has a slightly stronger spring than the other keys. It will level out with use.
  3. create90mph thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 3, 2009
    my concern is not about having a "perfect" computer. I ask out of concern for the longevity of the key that is it more likely to pop out of place in the longrun... Preventing a problem BEFORE it occurs.
  4. shambo macrumors 6502a

Apr 4, 2009
  5. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Feb 25, 2008
    My power button is off-colored. It's a bit darker than the rest of the body. ;)

But in al seriousness, I wouldn't be able to tell if a key is not even just by looking at the keyboard normally. I don't see how you can even notice it unless it is either a huge difference or you are inspecting every small aspect of your new computer. If you fall into the second category, this is a non-issue and just enjoy your new laptop for the next 2-5 years. I know I will. If it's the first, I would see if the key wears in over two or three weeks. If not, I'd bring it to the Apple store after then and see if they can help you if it causes problems. I would also take a few pictures now and then compare it to a few weeks from now and see if it makes a difference. This little kink might work itself out. And if it doesn't, you have photo proof of it never being right, which should rule out user-induced damages.
  6. pnyc macrumors 6502

May 12, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'd take it back and have them fix it for you. Who knows why it's not flush and how that might affect the way it works in the future. You don't want to wait until it stops working or falls off and you end up loosing it somewhere.