Non-genuine Lightning to USB Cables?

J.C

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Due to the "charging only" claim, I am staying away from such cables for now.

However, I hope it is not the same case for the 30 pin to lightning adapter as I bought a couple of those for the time being.

I can not wait until a 6ft lightning to USB cable comes out!

J.C

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Thanks for the info guys. I've been looking at Australian eBay sellers and hadn't seen that disclaimer but suspected it was the case. I might still get a few for the car and work as they're only $6.75.

EdwardSung

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
I wouldn't do it:

"There is basically no way those are functional cables," he told AppleInsider in an e-mail on Friday. "You can't just build a Lightning cable by making something with the same shape and connectivity, and my teardown proves that. The chip has to be there, and it is directly in the signal path of the V+ wire."

Even if the non-genuine cables work for charging only, I still wouldn't do it since I'll eventually get a supply of fully operational cables, and it'll be a pain in the ass separating the knockoffs from the others. That's just me though.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
My bet is that this mystery chip has nothing to do with "authentication".
Looks like its just trying to detect which pin has the +voltage so that it can reorient the other pins accordingly.
In other words, this chip is the method that Apple is using to make the Lightning connector orientation neutral.
Power is applied, the circuit kicks in, and it reroutes power and data to the proper pins regardless of orientation.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Looks like its just trying to detect which pin has the +voltage so that it can reorient the other pins accordingly.
In other words, this chip is the method that Apple is using to make the Lightning connector orientation neutral.
Power is applied, the circuit kicks in, and it reroutes power and data to the proper pins regardless of orientation.
This. Some dude breaks open a lightning cable, says this chip is for authentication yet has absolutely no proof, then turns around and will gladly sell you an $80 custom cable? Smells funny to me.

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
This. Some dude breaks open a lightning cable, says this chip is for authentication yet has absolutely no proof, then turns around and will gladly sell you an $80 custom cable? Smells funny to me.
$80? He sells $800 custom cables!

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
$80? He sells $800 custom cables!
Didn't even see those! But now I'm seeing "special, custom" USB cables starting at $899. This guy is a bigger tool than Monster Inc when it comes to trying to hustle customers, and why any site finds him remotely reputable for unbiased info is beyond me.

youspork

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
I am not risking such an expensive phone for this. I'll wait until more people confirm it is safe for the battery and the phone. :p

J.C

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Sounds likes plausible theory to me. Nice

cal6n

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
I suspect it goes even further. Haven't Apple stated that Lightning "... features an all-digital, eight-signal design..."? It's likely that the chip is a ROM that contains the config information defining a particular cable or adapter's function. The chip could be programmed with one set of instructions for USB 2, an extended set for Apple's legacy 30 pin connector, another set for HDMI with audio, etc. This way, not only can Apple produce cables that work for all applications currently available, but they can also adapt the connector to future technology on the fly.

*Edit* Confirmed.

Last edited: