Non-genuine Lightning to USB Cables?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by J.C, Sep 24, 2012.

1. J.C macrumors 6502

With Lightning to USB Cables relatively expensive I'd like a few cheaper non-genuine cable. eBay seems to be flooded with cables available for pre-order.

Anyone heard of these being tested yet? There's an authentication chip in the genuine cables and I wonder if these cables include those.

Perhaps without the chip the iPhone can charge but not sync?

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ne...-cable-torn-down-authentication-chip-spotted/

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I've seen quite a few on eBay with disclaimers along the line of, first-generation guaranteed to charge only.

3. solo118 macrumors 65816

Due to the "charging only" claim, I am staying away from such cables for now.

However, I hope it is not the same case for the 30 pin to lightning adapter as I bought a couple of those for the time being.

I can not wait until a 6ft lightning to USB cable comes out!

4. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

If anyone has ordered one and validated that it works, please post up for the rest of us and thanks for being the guinea pig!

5. J.C thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info guys. I've been looking at Australian eBay sellers and hadn't seen that disclaimer but suspected it was the case. I might still get a few for the car and work as they're only $6.75.

6. EdwardSung macrumors regular

I wouldn't do it:

"There is basically no way those are functional cables," he told AppleInsider in an e-mail on Friday. "You can't just build a Lightning cable by making something with the same shape and connectivity, and my teardown proves that. The chip has to be there, and it is directly in the signal path of the V+ wire."

Even if the non-genuine cables work for charging only, I still wouldn't do it since I'll eventually get a supply of fully operational cables, and it'll be a pain in the ass separating the knockoffs from the others. That's just me though.

7. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Seems like a bit of electrical tape would solve the identification problem.

8. EdwardSung macrumors regular

It would -- for someone who wasn't a lazy sack. :eek:

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

My bet is that this mystery chip has nothing to do with "authentication".
    Looks like its just trying to detect which pin has the +voltage so that it can reorient the other pins accordingly.
    In other words, this chip is the method that Apple is using to make the Lightning connector orientation neutral.
    Power is applied, the circuit kicks in, and it reroutes power and data to the proper pins regardless of orientation.

10. Senseotech macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

This. Some dude breaks open a lightning cable, says this chip is for authentication yet has absolutely no proof, then turns around and will gladly sell you an $80 custom cable? Smells funny to me.

11. parrot5 macrumors 6502

$80? He sells $800 custom cables!

12. Senseotech macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

Didn't even see those! But now I'm seeing "special, custom" USB cables starting at $899. This guy is a bigger tool than Monster Inc when it comes to trying to hustle customers, and why any site finds him remotely reputable for unbiased info is beyond me.

13. youspork macrumors newbie

I am not risking such an expensive phone for this. I'll wait until more people confirm it is safe for the battery and the phone. :p

14. J.C thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds likes plausible theory to me. Nice

15. cal6n, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I suspect it goes even further. Haven't Apple stated that Lightning "... features an all-digital, eight-signal design..."? It's likely that the chip is a ROM that contains the config information defining a particular cable or adapter's function. The chip could be programmed with one set of instructions for USB 2, an extended set for Apple's legacy 30 pin connector, another set for HDMI with audio, etc. This way, not only can Apple produce cables that work for all applications currently available, but they can also adapt the connector to future technology on the fly.

*Edit* Confirmed.