Non Hackintosh Osx-pc?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gusanitoverde, May 22, 2009.

1. gusanitoverde macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

Since I am a mac-win user, I have people complaining on the apple tax. In that context, someone approached me the other day and told me about this vendor Apple Open Systems www.appleopenusa.com.
    Their claim is:

"We have created a unique product that will run, operate Leopard 10.5.
    Simply put, we have taken the guess-work out of trying to run Leopard OSX on a PC.
    Along with Leopard, we also have capabilities of running any 32bit OS; such as Windows Vista, Linux, Unix, Leopard, and Solaris. Our systems are also built on the Snow-Leopard platform, for future upgrades.
    No Hassle, no hacks, upgradable, scalable, guaranteed."

More interestingly, here is their tech explanation on how they make the system work:

"This item is a mac clone. Running Mac OS X on generic PC hardware is not a new idea; the OSx86 Project has been hacking Mac OS X to run on non-Apple hardware for several years now. But that "Hackintosh" is an iffy proposition, with incomplete driver support and the risk that any Apple Mac OS X updates may break the system, rendering it unusable. The OSx86 Project tends to lag real Macs with security and bug fix updates — it's interesting, but not something on which to base a serious workflow. But there's another option now: AppleOpen System Design. Either you can custom-build, or prebuilt. Here, a generic Intel-based PC boots up from the AppleOpen Hardware module; the AppleOpen module then builds a full EFI environment in memory that can boot any operating system that speaks EFI, including Windows Vista x64, Linux, OpenSolaris, HP-UX... And Mac OS X. No hacks, no custom drivers — it just works. I offer a money back guarantee and 3 year hardware warranty."

They don't seem to be as widely known as Psystar.

I contacted TUAW blog but no reply I got from them.

Are this guys more legit than Psystar?

:apple:

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....no....oh yeah!

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Which is exactly the same thing. So not only are they breaking the law selling this to you, they're lying about it to try to differentiate their lawbreaking from the guys who were sued.

6. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

If anything, they'll get in trouble for calling it "OpenApple".

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

There's really not enough details and information about this so-called "Non Hackintosh" to say with certainty, but after browsing their site it certainly sounds like these folks are simply making use of long-existing techniques and programs developed by the greater Hackintosh community to install OS X on a (hardware compatible) PC using the retail OS X Leopard disk.

8. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

Interesting...

I hope that Apple stays Apple. One of it's greatest strengths is the perfect integration of Software / Hardware. However, the price has made it tempting for people to search alternative modes. To me what's cheap could end up expensive, specially when you are relying on the quality of a product and you decide to go for an imitation or tampered version of it.

I have my almost 3 year old Mac Book Pro 2.33 Ghz. A very faithful friend.:)

9. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I doubt you can ban someone from using a word thats so common. Apple isn't like Mac or iPod. Its in almost every dictionary. Even the little kid ones.

10. bartelby macrumors Core

If it's a registered trademark you can. IIRC

11. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Indeed. "Apple" is a registered trademark of Apple,Inc.

12. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Am I the only one amused by their "Copyright" page?

http://www.appleopenusa.com//terms.asp

They want protection if you use anything from their site without permission, but it's completely okay for them to use Apple's intellectual properties with abandon.

I believe that is irony, I'm not 100% sure, I blame Alanis Morissette.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I love their install method.

"OSX Installation Only (No DVD)" == Free :p

Smells of piracy to me since they are selling/providing a copy of the OS on the HD in order to sell a product, and Apple isn't getting a dime.

14. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Apple Computer, Inc.

There within their rights to use it.

15. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

While I recommend buying a real Mac to start (I have a 17" MBP and a original release QuadCore MacPro) I will give you this suggestion based on personal experience.

Buy an Efix chip get the parts in their hardware list from newegg, etc. Be happy.

I run my MacPro at the office and at home I wanted something as powerful, but didn't have the budget to spend another 2600 dollars.

I took the chance on the Efix chip. I had a few parts from an old PC laying around, bought myself a recommended motherboard, Bluray drive, and a new quad core processor and built a machine faster than my mac pro. It only installs a legit copy of OS X so you MUST buy OS X. It will not run a burned copy.

I have been running the machine at home for nearly 8 months. I haven't had a single kernal panic. I run my updates for the OS X software update tool. It's perfect. Minus a very few bonjour bugs there is absolutely no difference other than it's nowhere near as beautiful as my precious aluminum beastie.

But it cost me 1100 dollars with the bluray drive and it runs at quad core 3.0Ghz with 8Gigs of RAM and dual 8800Gts cards.

I'm getting ready to make it a PLEX media center for my living room.

hope that helps,
    technocoy

16. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Exactly, Steve says he doesn't make machines like this because he calls them junk, but they are far from it and the hardware is faster than most of their product lineup.

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The site looks very amateurish compared to Psystar. They will get into trouble calling the machines macOSx or macOSX (they can't even decide on capitalization :rolleyes: ).

Competition is good, however.

18. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If you buy a product (OSX), you're entitled to do what you like with it. As long as they're not pirating OSX, their use of Apple's "intellectual property" is legitimate.

It's Apple Inc. And I sincerely doubt they would win a trademark infringement case. If they were doing something completely unrelated to computers, then they might get away with using the Apple name. But they're a computer businesses, putting OSX on other systems. Using the Apple name is a big no-no.

Just look at the arguments between Apple Inc. and Apple Music. Apple Inc. was fine until they started selling music. At that point, Apple Music decided they were infringing on trademark. And, arguably, they were.

19. pdjudd macrumors 601

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

21. pdjudd macrumors 601

That would be true if you did indeed buy it. As it stands right now, you do no such thing with retail copies. You license it upon purchase. You may insist that its the same thing but I assure you it is not. You do not "own" OSX

22. marksandvig macrumors regular

Yet apple gets away with being a monopoly on their software.. i love apple but i hate fanboys

23. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....exactly...and to expand on that, the license agreement for OS X specifically states that it is licensed for use on "Apple branded" computers only (as has been pointed out many times every time this subject comes up)...oh yeah!